Sunday, June 8, 2014

Happy Family


As a woman, I feel the struggles and the challenges of being a wife and a mother.  I know the struggles of holding down a full-time, six-days-a-week job and running my blog. Sometimes I feel like a referee, a teacher, a coach, a disciplinarian, a maid, and a downright crazy woman.  But I also know the joys of being a woman.  I married the most amazing man who is perfect for me.  I had the privilege of giving birth to two pretty wonderful kids who I'm very proud of. I am lucky to have a job that I love.  And I have my blog which has brought me many new friends whom I have come to cherish.  

So, while I may be tired at the end of a long day, it's the kind of tired that makes me feel like I accomplished something.  I have accomplished a happy family.  We really are a happy bunch.  The four of us can act silly and have a good time. We learn and grow together.  We share great food and enjoy each other's company.  I feel like a pretty darn lucky woman.

And what better meal to give to my happy family than a dish called Happy Family!  I find it a struggle to find good Chinese takeout where I live, so I just make it myself.  This is one of my favorite Chinese dishes, and it turned out really good. Another name for it is Triple Delight, since it has beef, chicken, and shrimp.  And lots of veggies.  I hope you and your happy family enjoys it too.

HAPPY FAMILY
1/2 lb beef, sliced into thin strips (like a skirt steak, flank, or small roast)
1 large boneless, skinless chicken breast
12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
One 8-ounce can baby corn
4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
4 green onions, sliced
1 head of bok choy cabbage, chopped, just use the green parts (Napa will work too)
One small can water chestnuts, drained
1 red bell pepper, sliced
1 C fresh broccoli florets

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 T Hoisin sauce
1/4 C soy sauce
2 T cornstarch
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T chili paste (optional)
1 T fish sauce (optional)
1/2 C chicken stock
A few drops sesame oil
A few drops oyster sauce (optional)

Whisk the sauce ingredients together and set aside.  

In a large skillet or dutch oven, drizzle in some oil and heat to medium high heat.  Add in the bell pepper, baby corn, water chestnuts, mushrooms, and green onions.  Cook until the bell peppers are almost tender.  Next add in the chicken and cook until it's done through.  Add in the beef and cook for about 3-4 minutes.  Add in the sauce, the bok choy, the broccoli, and the shrimp.  Cook until the sauce is thickened and the shrimp is done.  Serve with rice, if desired.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Sidney! I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how many does this serve do you think? I like to cook once and eat twice! This looks amazing too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, I made this for my family of four (which includes two teenagers, one is a boy) and we had leftovers. Thank you, and I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. I forgot to tell you this was wonderful thinking about making again would flat iron steak work?

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much, Vicki! I don't have much experience with flat iron steaks yet, but if you do, I'm sure they would work just fine. So glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete