Monday, June 9, 2014

Mom's Night Off


So one night last week, I had the good fortune (that's questionable) of having the night off.  Both kids were away for the night, and my husband was out of town.  I say that's questionable because, although many moms will think I'm a nut job for saying this, but I really hate being alone.  It's not that I can't entertain myself.  I just really enjoy having my family around me and don't really like silence.  We are a busy and really REALLY loud family, and a silent house just doesn't feel right to me.

Anywho, I thought I'd make the best of my night off and make something for me.  A salad.  Oh, but what kind of salad.  I foraged around the kitchen and found a few tasty items that would be great in a salad.  But what kind of dressing...long pause.  Then it hit me.  Green Goddess dressing.  This was a wildly popular dressing in the '70s (yes, I was a kid in the '70s.  I'm not ashamed of my age).  So I researched it and added a few things.  This was the best darn salad I think I've ever made!  The dressing was spectacular!  The dressing calls for a whopping teaspoon of a dried herb blend called Parisien.  If you can't find that, the herbs in it are tarragon, chervil, dried chives, dill weed, and basil.  I would suggest using 1/4 teaspoon or so of each or substitute it with a similar herb blend mix.

So my night off ended pretty well.  And I turned the TV up really loud to drown out the silence.  So, if you have a Mom's Night Off, try this Green Goddess Chopped Salad.  You'll thank yourself later.



GREEN GODDESS CHOPPED SALAD
1/2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 head leaf lettuce, chopped
1-2 avocados, diced
1 C frozen corn, thawed
1/2 C cotija cheese (or feta if you can't find cotija)
4 boiled eggs, quartered
3 corn tortillas, cut into strips
Peanut oil
Garlic powder
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)

FOR THE DRESSING:
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C green onions, rough chopped
1 avocado
2 cloves garlic
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons anchovy paste (optional)
1/2 C mayonnaise
1/4 C Italian parsley
1 heaping teaspoon Parisien blend herbs (see note above)

This salad actually makes enough for about 4 people, so cut it down if you're feeding less.  For the dressing, add all ingredients into a blender and process until smooth.  Chill until ready to use.

For the salad, fry the corn tortilla strips in the peanut oil for a few minutes until browned.  Drain on a paper towel and season immediately with garlic powder and seasoned salt. Throw together all of the salad ingredients and dress with the Green Goddess dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment