Monday, June 9, 2014

Not so Top Secret


So I used to love Taco Bell when I was younger.  Way younger.  I actually don't really eat fast food anymore, and I haven't been in a Taco Bell in about 10 years.  But one of the things I used to love from Taco Bell was the Enchirito.  It's like a cross between an enchilada and a burrito.  

Someone once told me that La Victoria enchilada sauce tastes just like the Taco Bell sauce, so I thought I'd try it.  I have been making my own enchilada sauce for years, and I don't really buy many premade sauces or boxed meals, etc. But I bought it and thought I could whip out my own sauce if the canned version turned out terrible.  And you know what? It was pretty darn good!  I was very surprised.  I did make my own homemade refried beans, but I'm sure the canned version would be fine too.  The Enchiritos tasted exactly how I remember the Taco Bell Enchiritos tasted.  It was a huge hit. So, if you're a Taco Bell fan, give this one a shot.

ENCHIRITOS
1 lb ground beef
1 T dried minced onion
1/4 C masa harina (corn flour)
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 T garlic powder
1/2 C water
2 C refried beans, heated
6 to 8 10-inch flour tortillas
One 10-ounce can La Victoria red enchilada sauce (or whatever brand is available)
2 C shredded Cheddar cheese
Sliced black olives, if desired

NOTES:  You can just cook the ground beef and then add a packet of taco seasoning for a quicker version.  Also, I have found that the Hatch brand of red enchilada sauce is a really close version too. 

Brown the ground beef in a large skillet.  Drain the grease, if necessary.  Add in the minced onion, masa, salt & pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and water.  Cook and stir until the liquid is mostly absorbed.  Remove from the heat.  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Spread some beans down the center of a tortilla.  Spread some ground beef over the beans.  Sprinkle some cheese on top of the beef.  Fold the top and bottom ends of the tortilla over the filling.  Then roll the sides over the filling.  Repeat with remaining tortillas. Place them seam side down on a sheet pan.  Generously ladle some sauce over the tops.  Sprinkle some cheese over the top of the sauce and garnish with black olives, if desired. Put the sheet pan in the oven and cook for about 10 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.

Adapted from Top Secret Recipes

2 comments: