Monday, August 18, 2014

Frogs & Toads


When I think of toads, I think of a fat, ugly creature that is rumored to give you warts on your hands when you touch them.  When our kids were younger, we used to live near a community park with a pond.  We would go there when it was dark and look for toads and frogs.  Once we saw a toad that was as big as my head!  That's no joke!  I really didn't realize they could get that big, but there he was in all of his big, fat ugly glory.

The British make a dish called Toad in the Hole.  It is rumored that it is called that because it supposedly looks like a toad sticking his head out of a hole.  It's also been known as Sausage Toad.  Based on the looks of my picture, I think they call it that because it's big, fat and ugly in all its glory.  

Anywho, this dish is really easy to make.  It's sausages baked in Yorkshire pudding, which is basically the same thing as popovers.  This is typically served with an onion gravy, but I served it with an onion and mustard gravy.  Enjoy!

TOAD IN THE HOLE
5 sausages (I used garlic & onion flavored)
3 eggs
1 C milk
1 C flour
1 teaspoon beef bouillon
1 T vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon mixed dried herb (I used Parisienne blend)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Mix together all the ingredients except the sausages.  Let it sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Grease a casserole pan (I used a 7 x 11 pan).  Rub some oil on the sausages and put them in the pan.  Bake the sausages, turning occasionally, for about 10 minutes.  Pour the batter over the sausages.  Bake the Toad for about 30 minutes or until the bread is browned and the dough around the sausages is done.  Serve with the onion & mustard gravy (recipe follows).


ONION & MUSTARD GRAVY
About 1/2 C chopped onion
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 T butter
2 T flour
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon
1 C milk
1 T spicy brown mustard (maybe more)
1 T yellow mustard (maybe more)
Salt & pepper, to taste

Melt the butter in a skillet and cook the onions over medium high heat until they are tender.  Whisk in the flour.  Add in the remaining ingredients and whisk until smooth.  Cook until thickened and bubbly.  Taste the sauce and see if you'd like more mustard.  I wanted it really mustardy, so I added about 2 T more of the yellow mustard.

No comments:

Post a Comment