Tuesday, August 19, 2014

I'm Stuffed!


If you know me or have followed me, then you know I like to stuff things.  Chicken, mushrooms, peppers, even meatballs. Well, this time I wanted beef.  This was supposed to be a Stuffed Flank Steak, but they were out of flank at the store when I went.  Flank steak and skirt steak are somewhat similar, so I went with Stuffed Skirt Steak.

Now, I know sometimes skirt steak can be tough if it's overdone, so I came up with a genius idea...I cooked it in the crockpot.  This one is stuffed with sauteed onions, spinach, roasted red peppers, and blue cheese.  I poured a can of crushed tomatoes over the top.  I did have to boil down the sauce on the stove to thicken it up, but, boy, oh, boy, was this good.  

Are you afraid of blue cheese?  Well, don't be.  You will smell the blue cheese all day while it's cooking and think that's all you're going to taste.  But, while it smelled strong, it turned out very mellow and not overpowering at all.  And, you know what, it was filling too.  I was stuffed!

STUFFED SKIRT STEAK
2 lb skirt steak, cut into two sections (not lengthwise)
One 5-ounce package crumbled blue cheese
One 5-6 ounce bag fresh spinach leaves
One 12-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained & chopped
1 small onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 T butter
Olive oil
Kitchen string

You can prep the meat the night before if you like and put it in the fridge until morning.  Melt the butter in a skillet and drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the onion until tender.  Add in the spinach, roasted red peppers, and garlic.  Cook until the spinach is wilted down.  Season with salt and pepper.  Let cool slightly.

Laying the two pieces of skirt steak on a board, divide the spinach filling in half and spread over the steaks.  Divide the blue cheese in half and spread over the steaks.  Tie both of the steaks up with the string.  You may lose some filling, but that's okay.  Place them seam-side up in the crockpot (or in a pan for the fridge) and stuff the extra filling down into them.  

When you are ready to put them in the crockpot, place them seam-side up in the crockpot.  Pour the crushed tomatoes all over the top of the steaks.  Cook them on low for about 8 hours or until the meat is tender.  Remove the steaks from the crockpot and keep warm.  Pour the sauce/juice from the crockpot into a pot and boil it for about 10 minutes to reduce the sauce.  Serve the sauce over the steaks.  (Don't forget to cut off the kitchen string.)

1 comment: