Sunday, September 14, 2014

I Don't Go Barefoot


If you watch Food TV, then you no doubt have watched Barefoot Contessa with Ina Garten.  She makes her recipes seem really easy and they almost always look elegant.  I don't spend a lot of time watching her show since I'm a lot more downhome than she is.  But I have tried some of her recipes, and they usually turn out really good.

I came across her recipe for Scallops Gratin, and I thought I'd give it a try, of course with some adjustments.  But I didn't go barefoot in the kitchen.  In fact, I really don't go barefoot anywhere, unless I'm swimming or on the beach or sleeping. It would seem really strange to me to cook with no shoes on, although I don't think Ina cooks with no shoes on.

Anywho, this recipe is really easy to make and looks so pretty when it's done.  And it was darn tasty!

SCALLOPS GRATIN
As adapted from Ina Garten
2 lbs sea scallops
6 T real butter, softened
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 shallots, minced
1/4 C proscuitto ham, chopped
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
1 small lemon
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/3 C olive oil
1/2 C panko breadcrumbs
1/2 C white wine
Additional chopped parsley & Parmesan cheese for garnish

NOTE:  In Ina's recipe, she talks about removing a muscle from the side of the scallops.  This is already done where I buy my scallops.  You can ask the butcher to do it for you.

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Mix the butter, garlic, shallots, proscuitto, parsley, juice of the lemon, Parmesan cheese, panko, and some salt and pepper into a food processor.  Process until combined.  While the machine is running, drizzle in the olive oil. 

Pour the wine into a dish big enough to fit all of the scallops, but not too big.  Place the scallops into the dish and season them with salt and pepper.  Spoon some of the topping onto each scallop.  Bake them for about 10-15 minutes or until the scallops are done and the topping is browned.  Garnish with additional parsley and Parmesan cheese.

2 comments: