Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Smashing Good Dinner


I came across a picture on Pinterest of something called Jaegerschnitzel.  I did some research on what the heck it is. It's a German dish consisting of a thin cutlet of meat that is battered and fried and then topped with a bacon and mushroom sauce.  Sounds good, huh!  Jaeger means hunter in German, and a schnitzel is always a thin cutlet of meat that is fried.  There is debate out there whether it is breaded or not.  Obviously I chose the breading.

So on the night I made this, I went into the kitchen and started prepping stuff.  I chopped shallots and sliced mushrooms and started cooking bacon.  Then it came time to pound the meat out thin.  I got out my ancient wooden meat mallet and got to work.  I decided that the wooden mallet wasn't cutting it, so I got out a small heavy metal pot and began banging away.  And then I did it.  I pounded two of my fingers!  Apparently I let out a scream.  I bent over holding my two fingers and didn't move.  My husband came running. 

He asked to look at it and we discovered that I blew out the skin under my nail and it was bleeding.  At that point, I was having trouble breathing and felt naseous.  He said I was in shock, which I believe because it kind of felt like I was watching it happen outside my body.  He made me lay down and elevate my feet.  After a couple of minutes I gathered my wits about me, and the first thing I said was, "holy sh*t, I blew out my finger."  (Please forgive me for that expletive.)  He laughed and said, "you're making jokes now?"  Anyway, that was 8 days ago and I still have bruising on my fingers.  I'm lucky I didn't lose a fingernail.

So my daughter and husband jumped in and and made dinner.  My daughter pounded out those chops so well with that trusty ancient wooden mallet.  She finished cooking the bacon, which she hates doing.  My husband fried the chops and my daughter made the sauce.  And it was fabulous! Smashing good dinner!  Enjoy!

JAEGERSCHNITZEL
FOR THE PORK:
4 boneless pork chops
1 C flour
1 C panko breadcrumbs
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Black pepper
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
Dried parsley
Olive oil

FOR THE SAUCE:
2 T butter
1/2 lb bacon, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs
2 shallots, chopped
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
1/4 C red wine
1/2 C sour cream
2 C beef stock
2 T chopped Italian parsley

Cook the bacon until crisp.  Reserve 2 T of the bacon grease. Put the pork chops between plastic wrap and pound them to about 1/4 inch thick, being careful not to smash your fingers (haha).  Mix together the flour with some garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, seasoned salt, and dried parsley.  In another bowl, whisk the two eggs together with a splash of water.  In a third bowl, mix the panko with some garlic powder, black pepper, onion powder, seasoned salt, and dried parsley.  Drizzle a generous amount of olive oil into a large skillet.  Dip the pork cutlets in the flour, then into the egg, then into the panko mixture pressing down to coat.  Fry them in the olive oil until browned and crispy on both sides and done through. Drain them on paper towels and then keep them warm in a 200 degree oven.

For the sauce, put the reserved bacon grease and butter into a large skillet and melt the butter.  Cook the shallots and mushrooms over medium high heat until tender.  Deglaze the pan with the red wine.  Sprinkle the flour over the mushroom mixture and stir. Add in the beef stock, garlic, salt & pepper to taste, and sour cream and whisk.  Continue cooking and whisking until thickened and bubbly.  Serve the sauce over the pork cutlets and garnish with the bacon and Italian parsley. 

7 comments:

  1. We have had this dish in a traditional Hungarian restaurant...and loved it. This recipe took us back, it was so good. A keeper. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome, Tracy! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. I made this last night. My boys loved it. Definitely a keeper. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'm so glad you all enjoyed it!

      Delete