Monday, October 6, 2014

Blast From the Past


I'm not afraid of my age.  I'm not even ashamed to admit that I grew up in the '70s and '80s.  I remember heating up Spaghettios and soup on the stove.  I remember our first microwave.  I remember the day that MTV debuted.  I remember 8 track players, the first Walkman, black and white TV, the invention of VCRs and CDs and cell phones.  

I also remember the food my mother cooked.  One dish she made was Green Beans Amandine, which is oftentimes misspelled as "almondine."  It's basically green beans with butter, salt and pepper, and slivered almonds.  I came across a picture of Chicken Amandine on the internet, and it took me back.  It's traditionally chicken cooked in an almond sauce. But, if you know me, I am a rebel in the kitchen and can't always stick to traditional.  Here I've breaded the chicken with the almonds and a few other things.  The crust was crispy. The chicken was juicy.  And the lemon sauce gave it a fresh, bright taste.  My family loved it, and I hope yours loves it too!

CHICKEN AMANDINE
FOR THE CHICKEN:
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
A 4-ounce bag of sliced almonds
1 C Italian breadcrumbs
1 C flour
2 eggs
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
2 T butter
Olive oil

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 lemon
2 C chicken stock
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 T flour
2 T chopped Italian parsley
2 T butter
1 clove garlic, minced

For the chicken, mix the almonds, flour, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan cheese together in a bowl.  Whisk the eggs with a splash of water in another bowl.  

Preheat a skillet over medium high heat.  Melt the butter in the skillet and drizzle in a generous amount of olive oil. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Dip the chicken in the egg wash and then into the breadcrumb mixture, pressing down the chicken to coat on all sides.  Cook the chicken in the skillet 5-6 minutes on each side or until well browned.  Drain the chicken and then place on a sheet pan.  Put them in the oven to finish cooking and keep warm.  The chicken should register 165 degrees internally.

For the sauce, melt the butter in a pot and whisk in the flour. Add in the chicken stock and garlic and whisk.  Cook and whisk until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.  Whisk in the juice of the lemon and the Italian parsley and season with salt and pepper.  Remove the sauce from the heat.  Serve the sauce over the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment