Monday, November 10, 2014

Crowd Pleasing


As you can imagine, since I cook so much, I always have leftovers.  Sometimes too many.  But no worries.  I don't throw them away.  I work with hungry people, and they love the leftovers.  If I mention a dish that I made, I almost always get asked, "why didn't you bring any?"  Well, sometimes my family won't let me.  If it's something they really love, they will stand guard with baseball bats at the fridge before I leave for work and make sure I don't take anything with me.  Okay, not so much the baseball bats part.

So last week I made these amazing Chicken Burritos.  I know the picture leaves something to be desired.  But my husband adamantly said I couldn't take any of the leftovers to work. But I managed to sneak in the kitchen while he was in the shower and took some anyway.  I'm sorry, John.  It was so good I had to share and, well, quite frankly, show off a little. The chicken filling is the same filling that I use for my Chicken Flautas, which is one of my husband's top 10 favorites.  There is an ingredient used here called El Pato, which is a spicy tomato sauce.  If you can find it, use the salsa de chile fresco.  If you can't find it, then you can substitute a small can of tomato sauce and add chili flakes or cayenne pepper to taste.  The burritos also have spicy rice, refried beans, pico de gallo, and enchilada sauce.  They were so darn tasty and very crowd pleasing!  I hope you enjoy them too!

CHICKEN BURRITOS
FOR THE CHICKEN:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C chicken stock
One 7 3/4 ounce can El Pato salsa de chile fresco  (or tomato sauce)
One 4-ounce can mild green chilies
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder

FOR THE RICE:
1 C rice
2 C chicken stock
1 can RoTel

FOR THE ENCHILADA SAUCE:
1/4 C lard or shortening
1/4 C flour
2 C chicken stock
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 T chili powder

FOR THE PICO DE GALLO:
About 2 C chopped Roma tomatoes
1-2 serrano (or jalapeno) peppers, chopped (leave in the seeds if you like it hot)
1/2 C finely chopped red onion
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
Salt & pepper, to taste

FOR THE BURRITOS:
2 C refried beans, heated
Shredded Cheddar cheese
Burrito-size tortillas

NOTE:  This recipe is spicy.  If you are spice challenged, leave out the RoTel in the rice, the serranos or jalapenos in the pico de gallo, and switch the El Pato to plain tomato sauce.  Also, chicken stock tends to be salty.  The only thing I have added salt to here is the pico de gallo.  If you are a salt addict, like me, you will need to taste as you go and add salt accordingly.

For the rice, put the rice, 2 C chicken stock, and the can of RoTel in a pot.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook for about 20-25 minutes or until the rice is tender.

Meanwhile, put the chicken breasts in a pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil and boil for about 15-20 minutes or until the chicken is done.  Let cool and shred.

For the pico de gallo, mix all of the ingredients together and chill until ready to use.  You will probably have more pico than you will need, so feel free to cut the recipe down.

Once the chicken is shredded, put it in a large skillet.  Add in the chicken stock, El Pato (or tomato sauce), green chilies, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder.  Cook over medium high heat, stirring frequently, until most of the liquid is cooked out.  Remove from the heat.

For the enchilada sauce, melt the lard or shortening in a skillet.  Whisk in the flour.  Add in the chicken stock and remaining ingredients.  Whisk and cook until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.

To soften the tortillas, place them in a damp towel and microwave for about a minute.  Spread some beans down the center of the tortilla, then some cheese, then rice, then some of the chicken filling.  Close the burritos up.  Serve them with some of the sauce and the pico de gallo. 

2 comments:

  1. I love your recipes but unfortunately we do not find In Greece all the Mexican ingredients needed for the dishes you prepare. Please explain you take your home left overs to the restaurant you work in? or the left overs from the restaurant home. I got mixed up. But in either case you do have A LOT of cooking!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that would be confusing. I take leftovers from home and share them with the employees that work in the restaurant. I probably wouldn't have a job if I fed leftovers to the customers, ha ha. I'm glad you enjoy my recipes!

      Delete