Monday, November 17, 2014

It's That Sauce!



I remember when I was a kid and we'd go to a Chinese Restaurant.  I used to love to order Sweet & Sour Chicken.  I remember it always came with chunks of pineapple and bell pepper pieces and large onion pieces (I always picked out the onion and bell pepper).  But it was the sauce that I loved. Like my son, I wanted that sauce on the rice too.  And the eggrolls.  If you haven't had it, it's chicken breast strips that are battered in a light tempura batter and fried.  If it was done right, it wasn't greasy.  I loved that stuff!

Recently, my husband requested that I make Tempura Chicken on our son's birthday, along with my son's requests. I'm not going to say this is authentic in any way, but it's close to what you'd expect in an American Chinese restaurant. The sauce is easy to make and will be familiar to you.  If you are a fan of the American Chinese "Sweet & Sour Chicken," I think you'll love this!

TEMPURA CHICKEN
FOR THE CHICKEN:
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 3/4 C flour
1 egg
1 C ice water
2 teaspoons baking soda
3 T cornstarch
Peanut oil, for frying

FOR THE SAUCE:
1 T cornstarch
2 T water
1/2 C pineapple juice
1/2 C rice wine vinegar
1/2 C brown sugar
1/4 C ketchup
1 T soy sauce
1 teaspoon garlic powder

NOTE:  I made this dish along with several other dishes, so it makes a smaller amount.  If you want this as a main dish, you can double or triple the recipe.

For the sauce, place all of the ingredients in a pot and whisk. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.  Simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until it's thickened.  Chill until ready to serve.

For the chicken, cut it into strips.  Mix together the flour, egg, cornstarch, ice water, baking soda and cornstarch.  Preheat some peanut oil in a large skillet.  Dip the chicken strips in the batter and place them gently in the oil.  Fry for about 3-5 minutes per side or until they are golden brown and chicken is fully cooked.  Serve with the sauce.


2 comments:

  1. OMG Delicious...you can fry anything in this batter and the sauce is perfect!!! We cut back 1/4 Cup on flour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Anne! I'm so glad you liked it!

      Delete