Monday, November 3, 2014

Sausage Roll, Nebraska


So I've heard of a popular British food called Sausage Rolls. It is made using mince, which is meat that is, well, minced. And sometimes it's also used with bangers, which is a British word for sausage.  I made my own "sausage" by using ground pork.  I've seen where some British people eat them with Heinz HP sauce which is apparently a very beloved sauce in the UK.  I just made some cream gravy to serve with ours.

So, as I sat down to write this post, I went on Google and tried to do a little reading about Sausage Rolls and try to find some interesting tidbit to share with you about them.  I went to Wikipedia and read a bit there.  I went back to my search feed and saw there was another Sausage Roll page on Wiki referring to National Sausage Roll Day.  It even said there's a town in Nebraska called Sausage Roll.  Sausage Roll, Nebraska.  What I didn't realize, since I skim through pages instead of fully reading them, is that entry is actually an April Fool's Day prank page on Wiki.  Duh...how gullible can I be! If you want to see the page, click here.

Anywho, these Sausage Rolls are probably not exactly traditional in flavor, but my husband loved the sausage part so much that he wanted me to make it again for calzones instead of using Italian sausage.  They were really easy to make and pretty darn tasty too.  Enjoy!

SAUSAGE ROLLS
1 lb ground pork (beef will work too)
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
1 teaspoon sage
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Chili flake, to taste
1/2 teaspoon fennel seed
1 teaspoon thyme
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1 C breadcrumbs
2 eggs
1/4 C water

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Mix together the ground pork, sage, salt & pepper, chili flake, garlic powder, fennel seed, thyme, dried minced onion, breadcrumbs, 1 of the eggs, and the water.  Cut the puff pastry into three pieces along the fold.  Roll them out some to stretch the dough wider.  

Divide the sausage mixture into three and spread it down each of the puff pastry sections.  Fold the long side over the meat and crimp the edges with a fork.  Cut each roll into three sections. Place them on a sheet pan.  Cut three slits on the top of each roll.  Mix the second egg with a splash of water and brush the tops of the pastries. I sprinkled a little extra garlic powder over the tops of the pastries for extra flavor.  Bake the sausage rolls for 25-35 minutes or until the sausage is cooked through and the pastries are browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment