Monday, January 19, 2015

Cousins


Do you like Sloppy Joe's?  When I was growing up, we ate a lot of Manwich, you know, that Sloppy Joe sauce in a can.  It was an easy meal, and it made a pound of hamburger meat stretch a little farther.  Back then I thought it was good, and my mother thought it was economical.  Now I really don't eat things like that out of a can, and I try to do as much as I can from scratch.

There is a legend behind the Sloppy Joe and its creation. The State of Iowa is kind of known for their "loose meat" sandwiches, which is sort of like a burger except the meat isn't shaped into a patty.  Supposedly, in 1930, a cook named Joe in a restaurant in Sioux City, Iowa, developed these sandwiches by adding tomato sauce to it, hence the name "Sloppy Joe."  There is also a restaurant in Key West called Sloppy Joe's that claims the fame to the sandwich.  

So what if Joe had a Tex-Mex cousin that wanted a sandwich like a Sloppy Joe but with more Tex-Mex flavors?  What if his cousin was named Jose, which means Joseph in English and is shortened to Joe?  See where I'm going with this?  Sloppy Joses.

These sandwiches are easy to make and have fantastic Tex-Mex flavors and a little heat.  I used beer in mine, Corona, but you can skip that part.  I also used a lot of spicy elements, but feel free to leave those out too.  I took the leftovers to work and everyone there loved them as well. Enjoy!

SLOPPY JOSES
FOR THE MEAT:
1 lb ground beef
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1 serrano pepper, chopped
1 chipotle in adobo, chopped
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
Olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 onion, chopped
One 8-ounce can tomato sauce
2 T masa harina (corn flour)
3/4 C beer
1 T soy sauce
2 teaspoons lime juice

FOR THE GARNISHES:
Sliced jalapenos
Crumbled Cotija cheese
Pico de Gallo (click for my recipe)
Sandwich buns

Drizzle a little olive oil into a skillet and cook the onions over medium high heat until tender.  Add in the ground beef and cook and brown until the meat is done.  Drain the meat, if necessary.  Add in the beer and let it cook off a little bit.  Add in the remaining ingredients and season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Turn the heat down and simmer covered for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Serve the sandwiches on buns with sliced jalapenos, Cotija cheese, and Pico de Gallo.

2 comments:

  1. Whoa!!! This would be spicy! I used to love Sloppy Joes too. Not too much canned stuff for me either. I remember a lady made some one time for us. I thought it was delicious and I bet it was Manwich too, I've tried to make it and it never tastes the same. Thanks for this recipe.

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Lita! It was spicy, but we love spicy food! Enjoy!

      Delete