Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Hot Stuff


I cook with a lot of fresh peppers of all kinds...jalapenos, serranos, poblanos, bell peppers, fresno peppers, you name it.  We are Texans, so we're supposed to do that, you know. Everyone in my house likes spicy food, so we eat it a lot.  

There is a very tiny, petite woman that I work with who eats whole raw jalapenos a lot.  She also loves the pickled jalapenos from a jar.  She seriously loves them, the hotter the better.  I told my husband about her eating raw peppers, seeds and all, and he decided that, if she could do it, so could he.  My husband usually sits at the counter on a bar stool when I'm cooking and we talk while I cook.  If I happen to have jalapenos or serranos out on the cutting board, his new habit is to take a bite of one.  Sometimes they are mild, but sometimes I can see from the watering of his eyes that the dang pepper was hot!  Oh, well.  I think it's cute.

Anywho, I made this Spicy One-Pot Chili Mac for him and my son.  Our daughter works after school, so she misses a lot of meals now.  My son loved it, but he had to have a water bottle handy to cool his mouth off.  My husband and I thought it was the right amount of heat.  I used two cans of RoTel and one chipotle in adobo.  But, as I always say, use my recipes as a guideline.  Leave out the heat if you like.  Just replace the RoTel with a chopped tomato, and you're good to go. And it's darn tasty!

ONE-POT SPICY CHILI MAC
1 lb ground beef
2 cans RoTel
Olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 chipotle in adobo, chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 C macaroni noodles
3 C chicken stock
One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 T chili powder
1 T cumin
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 1/2 to 2 C shredded Cheddar cheese (I used Jalapeno Cheddar)

Drizzle some olive oil in a large skillet and heat it to medium high heat.  Cook the onion until it is tender.  Add in the ground beef and brown it.  Drain the grease, if necessary. Add in the remaining ingredients except the cheese and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat slightly and cook, stirring occasionally, until the macaroni noodles are done.  Remove from the heat and stir in the cheese until it's melted. 

As adapted from America's Test Kitchen

2 comments:

  1. I like spicy too(living in the Mexico/Texas border), but this could be a bit spicy for my taste. It does sound tempting though. Thanks for sharing.

    Linda @ Tumbleweed Contessa

    ReplyDelete