Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Strange Occurrences


Have you ever had strange occurrences happen at your house that can't be explained?  Did you wonder if you had a ghost?  Well, I can't say for sure that I do or don't believe in ghosts, but we've had some pretty strange things happen in two of the homes we've lived in, one of them being the house we live in now.

Before we moved to West Texas from the small town of Kennedale, we had a few strange things happen that were a little odd.  Once in the middle of the night our TV came on in the bedroom, blaring loudly.  It was quite startling. Another night in that house, two pictures inexplicably fell off the wall in the middle of the night.  And still another night dishes fell off of the dish drainer.  Not enough to be scared, but still concerning.

Since we've moved to West Texas, we've had even stranger things happen.  We cut a tree down, and a large part of the trunk of the tree was sitting on our back porch.  As we went later to let the dogs out, the tree trunk was moved in between the back door and the screen door.  It was daylight.  The dogs never barked at the door like someone was there. Another occurrence was when I went to our bathroom and the door was shut.  I opened the door to find the trash can moved directly behind the door, a feat that couldn't be done unless someone were in the bathroom.  Weird.

One Christmas here, I came home to find all of the stockings hung backwards.  On a side note, I am extremely OCD and can spot if anything has been moved in the house.  If someone comes home during the day and leaves, I can ask them what they were doing home.  When they ask me how I know they were here, I can say, well, you touched this, you moved this, you went in here.  

Anywho, one morning my husband was the only one left in the house.  He was just getting out of the shower.  Our bathroom door rattles when someone closes an exterior door in the house.  He said the door rattled three times while he was in there.  He then proceeded throughout the house in his drawers searching to see who was in there, only to find no one.  The reason I felt like telling you these stories is because this morning I went in the bathroom and both of the towels hanging over the shower rod were on the floor.  Sure, they could have fallen by themselves.  Lately, when we turn on the living room light/fan, it buzzes in sequence for a couple of minutes and blinks.  My husband says it sounds like we are in a horror movie.

By far the strangest thing that has ever happened here was last summer.  My husband was out of town all week on business.  I decided the back patio needed washing off.  I put on my flip-flops and headed out.  I walked over to the hose and washed the patio off.  I went in and let it dry.  Later I went back out there to let the dogs out, and I saw some muddy footprints on the concrete.  It was still daylight out.  I just thought maybe I walked through the mud next to the patio.  The next morning, when I went out there again, I noticed they were bare feet prints, not flip-flops.  I also examined the mud, and there were no footprints there.  I asked the kids if they had been out there, and neither one had.  Here are some pictures.


This one is a little hard to tell, but it shows a path.  It's not a path that I ever took.  I never went into the part of the yard where these seem to originate from.


This is a little clearer.  It's a 9-inch footprint.  You can see the ball of the foot and the heel.


Again, ball of the foot and the heel.


Lastly, this is where the footprints end.  Oddly enough, they end under a chair where I sometimes sit when we are outside.  There is no exit point off of the patio.  They just stop!

So do you believe in ghosts?

Now here's a pasta dish!  LOL...this is Chicken & Spinach Pasta.  It's simple to make, and it's darn tasty!

CHICKEN & SPINACH PASTA
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
2 T butter
Olive oil
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 C heavy cream
1 lemon
1 lb bowtie pasta
One 6-ounce bag fresh spinach
1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese
One 2-ounce bag pine nuts
1/2 C white wine
Salt & pepper, to taste

Cook the pasta according to package directions.  When it's done, reserve about 1 C of the pasta water.

Put the pine nuts in a small skillet and turn the heat to medium.  Cook, stirring constantly, until they start to brown. Remove from the heat.  NOTE:  These will burn very quickly. You have to continuously stir and don't walk away from them. It only takes a couple of minutes to brown them.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large skillet or dutch oven. Drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the chicken on medium high heat until it's done, about 5-6 minutes.  Add in the wine and the garlic and deglaze the pan.  Cook until most of the wine has cooked out.  Add in the cream, 1 C of pasta water, the juice of the lemon, and season with salt and pepper.  Cook a few minutes or until the cream becomes thick and starts bubbling.  Add in the Parmesan cheese and stir to melt. Remove from the heat and stir in the spinach and pine nuts. Mix with the pasta and enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Pretty cool story there BBCG. Nice recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW!!! You brought back a lot of memories of our home that we lived in for 12 years that had "ghosties." Things happened all the time, but some of the instances that stand out was the back door opening on its own; the pots and pans on the hanging rack started clanking against each other (no breeze, nothing); my eyeglasses disappearing for 6 months, and then me finding them hanging on the front of an outfit I hadn't worn in years (I sure as heck didn't put them there). Even my non-believer husband started believing when a ghostie tugged on his shirt. You should've seen the look on his face! My daughters believed something was co-existing with us, but my son wouldn't discuss it.

    We've seen a dark figure, a child running up the stairs, and an Hispanic male, among other wisps of something we couldn't tell what it was. We were told that during the construction of our home that a worker fell off the roof (perhaps it was the Hispanic male I saw who was wearing work clothes). We even had a repairman come to the house, and as soon as he stepped in the door, he looked at me and said, "do you know that you have ghosts." What ensued was a long conversation (off the clock) about ghosts.

    By the way, talk to them. When the back door kept opening, I asked that whomever was opening the door to please stop, as I didn't want the animals to get out. Guess what? They/it stopped. I also had to ask the smoking ghost to quit smoking in our non-smoking household. That would work for a short while, then the smoking ghost would come back, and I would have to ask again. That one felt like a stubborn teenage male.

    I'm sure all of this sounds crazy to a non-believer, but unless you have proof positive that something doesn't exist, don't poo poo someone who knows what they're living with is very real.

    Your ghosts sound like the friendly and playful variety. Just remind them that as long as they're sharing your home with you that they need to behave, and not to do something to harm anyone.

    Good luck with your ghosties!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing that, Anne! We haven't really been afraid and have been a little more open to the idea of ghosts. I actually forgot a time where I thought my husband was squeezing my hand while we were sleeping, but I looked over and saw that his back was to me. I will try the talking thing if anything else happens.

      Delete
  3. Holy Moly! Even just 2 of your strange occurrences would be enough to spook me, but to have all this happen...EEEK! So glad that you are able to take it all in stride. I would be seriously freaked out and start setting up cameras/video equipment. Now onto this recipe...it looks awesome! Thanks for sharing. I think it will be dinner tomorrow night!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Julie! We really haven't been afraid by any of it. Just amused and curious. Please let me know how the pasta turns out!

      Delete
  4. That is so cool, I am a Ghost Hunter, and just love it. Your story gave me chills a couple of times. My father who passed away in 1991, still lives in what was his house and that is where I live. I love that he is still here. I just wish he would clean up the workbench in the garage! Lol. Recipe looks good! Your prior commentor is correct, just talk to them, they can hear you, and may be talking to you, but very hard to hear them. Sometimes with a recorder but not always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marcia! I haven't tried talking to them yet, but maybe I'll get the courage soon.

      Delete