Tuesday, February 3, 2015

German Fare


I'm not sure if it's because I'm mostly German or if I just have the right tastebuds, but I love German food.  I love sauerkraut, sausages with mustard, horseradish, cabbage and vinegary foods.  So it's no surprise that I would love this creation of mine.  I didn't think of a fancy name for it (I usually don't), so I'll just call it Cabbage, Potatoes & Sausage.  

My mother, who is 100 % German, told me the other day she doesn't really care for German food.  She doesn't have the taste for sour foods and fried meats.  She was born in the US and has eaten American food her whole life and wasn't really raised on German food, so I can understand why she doesn't like it.  A lot of it really is acquired taste.

But...back to the recipe.  I prepped the ingredients for this the night before and put it in the crockpot the next morning.  As a side note, if you haven't boiled cabbage or cooked it in the crockpot before, be prepared for the smell.  I don't think it's a bad smell, just very strong.  When my son and I got home that day after I picked him up from school, he walked in the door and said, "what is that smell?"  I said, "it's cabbage."  He said, "it's so awful," and tried to go back out the front door. Ha ha.  He's a comedian.  

Anywho, this really turned out great.  If you love these kinds of flavors, a bit of vinegar, a little sweet, a little salty, then you are going to love this.  Enjoy!

CABBAGE, POTATOES & SAUSAGE
1/2 of a large green cabbage, chopped
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, halved or quartered
1 lb sausage, (like bratwurst) sliced
2 T spicy brown mustard
1 onion, chopped
3 large carrots, sliced into 1-inch chunks
1/4 C white vinegar
1/2 C chicken stock
2 T brown sugar
4 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
Salt & pepper, to taste
Olive oil

NOTE:  If you are going to prep this the night before, store your potatoes in the fridge covered in water.  This prevents them from turning brown.  Also, the cabbage will make a lot of juice, so don't add any more liquid than the recipe calls for.

Mix the cabbage, carrots, onion, and garlic together and season with salt and pepper.  Drizzle a little olive oil in your crockpot.  Add the cabbage mixture to the crockpot.  Mix together the vinegar, chicken stock, brown sugar, and brown mustard.  Pour this over the cabbage mixture.  Next layer the potatoes over the cabbage and then layer the sausage over the potatoes.  Cook on low for 6-8 hours.  Serve it in bowls with some of the juice. This goes great with a hunk of warm, buttered cornbread.

4 comments:

  1. Cornbread with German food????
    More like a nice hunk of Pumpernickel or Rye and extra some spicy brown mustard!
    Nice recipe though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved your post, got the "german" blood in me too! this sounds really good and I make something similar with polish kielbasa, love me some garlic! potatoes, green beans and cabbage sometimes with the cabbage sometimes without lol depending on a plan or something quick and not having cabbage on hand! love the idea of the vinegar and brown sugar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vicki! Green beans sounds like a wonderful addition! I was skeptical about the brown sugar, but it gave it just enough sweetness without being overly sweet. This turned out a lot better than I expected. Enjoy!

      Delete