Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Perfection


My husband and I have been obsessed lately with beef. Perfectly caramelized, tender, flavorful beef.  Awhile back, we were obsessed with perfecting the perfect Steaks au Poivre, which means steaks in peppercorn sauce.  Currently we are obsessed with trying to accomplish the perfect Carne Asada recipe.  We seriously have done it every weekend for several weeks.  We have the marinade down almost perfect. We have the grilling down almost perfect.  We just want to try another method for tenderizing the meat.  I can't wait until we get it right and I can share the recipe.

Anywho, here is a recipe that I only had to do one time and I thought it was perfection.  This is my Steak Tips in a Mushroom & Blue Cheese Sauce.  There are caramelized shallots and mushrooms in this dish.  The slightly creamy and tangy sauce goes great with the beef.  The secret to this recipe is getting your pan screaming hot and searing the meat well on all sides.  It was perfect tender beef in a beautiful sauce.  And it was really quick and easy to do.  I think this recipe would be great for date night!  And it's darn tasty!

STEAK TIPS IN MUSHROOM & BLUE CHEESE SAUCE
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 lbs steak tips (see note)
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, sliced
2 T butter
Olive oil
1/2 C beef broth
1/4 C red wine
1/2 C heavy cream
1 C crumbled blue cheese
4 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 green onion, sliced

NOTE:  I couldn't find actual steak tips in the store, but I know they exist.  I bought some very lean and affordable sirloin steaks and cut them into about 1-inch cubes.  Also, I truly believe a cast iron pan is the best for searing meat.  It can be done in other pans, but you may need more butter or olive oil.

Preheat a large skillet over high heat until it is very hot.  Add the butter into the skillet and drizzle in some olive oil.  Add in the meat and sear until it is well browned on all sides.  Don't mess with the meat too much in the beginning or you will tear the meat.  When the meat is browned and ready to move, you should have no problem turning it.  When the meat is browned on all sides, spoon it out of the skillet and put it on a plate.  Cover the plate with foil to keep the steak warm.

Reduce the heat to medium high.  Add in the shallots and mushrooms and cook until they are browned and tender. Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook until most of the liquid has cooked out.  Add in the beef broth, garlic, heavy cream, and 3/4 C of the blue cheese.  Cook until the sauce starts to bubble and get thick.  Taste for salt and pepper and season accordingly.  Remove from the heat and stir the steak tips into the sauce and serve with the remaining blue cheese crumbles and garnish with the green onion slices.

2 comments:

  1. This looks drool worthy! When I have a "cheat" night, I will cook this for my husband and I (beef, bleu cheese and mushrooms? LOVE). What did you serve this with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I served it with roasted asparagus with Parmesan cheese and some copycat Red Lobster biscuits! Enjoy!

      Delete