Sunday, March 15, 2015

Sunday Funday


My favorite day of the week is Sunday.  For one, it's my only day off at work.  But it's also a day that we all try to spend together.  We usually start off the day with letting Cooper, our Boxer, come in the bedroom with us to play.  He loves to jump on the bed and "box" my husband and tries to bite his head, playing of course.  We almost always cook breakfast together and it's the only day of the week that the four of us get to eat breakfast together.  We usually cook a big feast for dinner on Sunday night and a lot of times that involves grilling now since we have a new grill.  It's a day to relax, enjoy each other, and have a little fun.  Sometimes we even play Skipbo or other games.  If it's summertime, we are definitely in the pool.  

I also really value these days because our children are nearing adulthood.  Our daughter is 17 and our son is 14, both of whom are taller than me.  Our son likes to go to the grocery store with me only so that he can tell me I'm too short and he can reach the stuff on the top shelves.  Our time with them at home is getting shorter and shorter.  While I look forward to having a clean, quiet house, I'm sure I'll miss them a lot when they move out.

I like to cook a wide variety of many different things, some of which the kids don't like.  But sometimes I try to give them something simple that I know they will love.  Like this Meatball Ravioli Bake.  It's really simple to throw together and doesn't take all that much time.  I made the meatballs and the sauce homemade, but you can take shortcuts and buy a good quality frozen meatball and use jarred marinara sauce.  If you have kids or are a big kid yourself, everyone will enjoy this dish.

MEATBALL RAVIOLI BAKE
FOR THE MEATBALLS:
1 lb Italian sausage (if it is in casings, remove the casings)
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
2 T Italian parsley, chopped
Red chili flake, to taste
Olive oil

FOR THE REST:
One 20-ounce package fresh ravioli, any flavor
2-3 C Marinara Sauce (click for my recipe)
1 C shredded Mozzarella cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix all of the meatball ingredients together except the olive oil.  Shape them into 1/2 to 3/4 inch meatballs.  Put them on a sheet pan or in a casserole pan.  Drizzle them with a little olive oil.  Bake them for 20-25 minutes or until the meatballs are done.

Meanwhile, cook the ravioli according to the package directions and warm the marinara sauce.  Drain the ravioli.  

When the meatballs are done, preheat the broiler.  Mix together the meatballs, ravioli and sauce.  Pour it all into a 9 x 13 casserole pan.  Sprinkle the cheese all over the top.  Put the pan under the broiler and broil until the cheese melts. (We especially love the cheese when it gets browned.  You don't have to broil it that long, though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment