Sunday, April 12, 2015

Fried Eggs for Dinner


We are big fans of fried eggs in our house.  Even the puppies like them.  No, we don't really feed them fried eggs, just a bite of what's left of ours.  While a fried egg seems simple, it took me years to really perfect it.  I've cooked a lot of stuck on, broken yolk fried eggs in my lifetime.  But I've mastered it now, thank goodness. 

My husband was recently out of town for work, and he ate at a Tex-Mex restaurant and had some Stacked Enchiladas with a fried egg on top.  I had never had Stacked Enchiladas, and I had certainly never had enchiladas with a fried egg on them.  So I absolutely had to try this myself.  I filled them with marinated baked chicken, cheese, and chili gravy.  What's chili gravy, you ask?  In Texas, it's the brown enchilada sauce that is common in a lot of restaurants.  And it's good stuff.  These enchiladas were so darn tasty, and I think it's the best thing I've cooked in the last six months.  (I'm pretty sure I say that about a lot of things I cook, kinda like saying a lot of songs are your favorite song).  And the fried egg on top?  Fantastic!

STACKED ENCHILADAS
12 corn tortillas
3 C cooked, shredded chicken
1 1/2 C shredded cheese (I used Colby Jack)
4 eggs
1/4 C lard (or shortening)
1/4 C flour
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 C chicken stock
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano
2 T chili powder

NOTE:  I marinated three boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a marinade consisting of a packet of McCormick's chipotle pepper marinade, crushed garlic cloves, cumin, olive oil, water, and lime juice.  Then I baked the chicken until done and shredded it.  You can use whatever marinade you like here or even use rotisserie chicken.  My trick for frying eggs is to melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  I crack in two eggs and season them with salt and pepper.  When the egg whites start to look white, I cover the skillet with the lid and cook until the top of the whites are done and the yolk is still runny.  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  

For the chili gravy, melt the lard or shortening in a skillet and whisk in the flour.  Whisk in the black pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and oregano.  When the mixture is smooth, whisk in the chicken stock.  Cook until the sauce is thickened and bubbly.  Remove from the heat. 

Soften the tortillas in a damp towel in the microwave.  Spray a sheet pan with nonstick spray.  Lay four tortillas on the sheet pan.  Spread some sauce on each tortilla and some chicken and shredded cheese.  Lay another tortilla on top of each stack and repeat with the sauce, cheese, and remaining chicken.  Lay the last four tortillas on the stacks and spread the remaining sauce and remaining cheese on top.  Bake the stacks for about 15 to 20 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.

Meanwhile, fry the four eggs to your desired doneness. Serve the stacks with a fried egg on top and with hot sauce, salsa, or pico de gallo, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment