Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans)



Being from Texas, we eat a lot of pinto beans at our house. I usually cook up a large batch and freeze them into smaller portions so that I have them on hand at all times.  We then can thaw one and eat it as is or make refried beans.  But this recipe is a little different.  These Frijoles Borrachos (Drunken Beans) turned out amazing.  They are pinto beans cooked with beer, preferably a Mexican beer like Corona or Dos Equis.  We liked them so much that I may just cook them this way all the time.  Enjoy!

FRIJOLES BORRACHOS (DRUNKEN BEANS)
2 lbs dry pinto beans
2 12-ounce bottles of beer, preferably Mexican imported beer
3 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 poblano pepper
1 onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 lb bacon, chopped
2 T lime juice
1 T cumin
Olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Place the poblano pepper on a sheet pan.  Roast the pepper, turning occasionally, until it is charred on all sides, about 15 minutes.  When it is cool enough to handle, peel as much of the skin off as you can. Remove the stem and seeds of the poblano and chop it.

Drizzle some olive oil into a crockpot.  Add in the remaining ingredients and chopped poblano and cover the beans with water.  Cook the beans on low for about 8 hours or until tender, adding additional water from time to time if necessary.  

2 comments:

  1. Looks yummy. What size crock pot do you use for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! My crockpot doesn't have the size on it, but I'm pretty sure it's a 6 quart. I actually did these beans in my pressure cooker and it only takes an hour. But I have done this many times in my crockpot. Enjoy!

      Delete