Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Still Learning


So I got a new camera for Christmas.  I've never owned a nice camera before, so I really didn't know how to use it.  I still am struggling a bit with understanding all the functions.  I was having trouble getting it to focus on the front of the plate, but my husband touched the screen and moved a little box to the front and fixed the issue.  Duh.  I even paid to take a class on using cameras, but I didn't really gain much information.  

My blogging escapades really do take a lot of effort.  I spend a lot of time researching recipes and planning menus.  We take the pictures in a light box with two lights on the sides and my husband always stands there and holds a third light over the top.   Then I have to try to find some creative and interesting thing to say in the post so you'll be interested.  So far, this post sounds really boring, huh.  

I guess I could tell you an interesting story about my daughter.  When she was little, I don't know, about 2 or so, I took her to the Fort Worth Zoo.  They had a big white tiger there and there was a huge floor to ceiling window on one side of his habitat.  She was standing there fascinated about this creature, and all the while the tiger was pacing back and forth, licking his chops, almost like he wanted to eat her. Thank goodness it wasn't glass like the video on the internet where the gorilla breaks the glass when he got mad at a little girl beating her chest.  

Or I could tell you that, when my son was a toddler, he would say "chuck-up" for "ketchup."  My daughter would correct him (she is older, so that's her job, right?).  But I would nicely tell her to let him say "chuck-up" because it's cute.  

Anywho, I was really excited about this recipe since it's so good.  But the picture doesn't really do it justice.  These Chicken & Broccoli Pockets turned out amazing.  I hope you'll try the recipe despite the bad picture.  It's a pretty easy recipe and darn tasty!

CHICKEN & BROCCOLI POCKETS
2 C cooked, shredded chicken
One 12-ounce bag frozen broccoli florets
1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/2 C sour cream
1/2 C shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Black pepper, to taste
1 egg
1/2 C shredded Parmesan cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put the broccoli in the microwave and microwave until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Cut off any stems and chop the florets.  In a food processor, combine the cream cheese, sour cream, Monterrey Jack cheese, Ranch dip mix, garlic powder, and black pepper.  Stir the chicken, cream cheese mixture, and broccoli together.

On a floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to roughly an 18 x 14 rectangle.  Divide the pastry into four pieces.  Put 1/4 of the chicken mixture onto each puff pastry.  Fold the ends over, being sure to cover up all of the filling.  Spray a sheet pan with cooking spray and place the pockets seam-side down on the pan.  Lightly press them down and shape them into rectangles.  Cut four slits in the dough for venting.  Mix the egg with a splash of water.  Brush the tops of each pocket with the egg wash.  Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top of each pocket.  Bake the pockets for 30-35 minutes or until the pastry is done, especially on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment