Sunday, May 31, 2015

I'm All About That Steak


I've never really been a fan of Philly Cheesesteaks.  Maybe it's because I live in Texas and can't find a good one.  I never liked sauteed bell peppers and onions (still really don't).  And I don't often buy things like Cheez Whiz.  But my husband likes all of those things, so we gave it a try.

Now, I know all about the supposed rivalry between Pat's and Geno's in Philadelphia and how people will only eat one or the other.  But I've also heard that Pat and Geno are actually friends and their competition is friendly.  Their cheesesteaks look very similar to me, only one uses sliced steak and one uses chopped steak.  If I ever get a chance to go to Philly, I'll certainly try both.

Anywho, after doing much comparisons online of recipes, I found that the only way to go here is boneless ribeye steaks. The ONLY way to go.  My husband went to the butcher and bought a ridiculous amount and had the butcher slice it as thin as he could.  We then decided to cut the slices into strips, but that's just a personal preference.  After a quick sautee of peppers and onions in the pan, we threw the meat into the screaming hot pan and quickly seared it on both sides.  We piled it all up on a bun and slathered on the Cheez Whiz.  It was to die for!  We only seasoned the meat with salt and pepper and it was so succulent, juicy and tender.  It was even tender the next day heated up in the microwave.  I'm sure there are people who may say my recipe isn't authentic, but that's okay.  It's darn tasty and that makes me happy.  I'm a fan after all.  Enjoy!

PHILLY CHEESESTEAKS
1 lb boneless ribeye, thinly sliced
6 hoagie rolls
2 green bell peppers, sliced
1 onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T butter
Drizzle of vegetable oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
One 15-ounce jar Cheez Whiz 

NOTES:  We had the butcher slice the meat thin, but we thought the pieces were too big and would pull out of the sandwiches.  We decided to slice the slices into thin strips. It's up to you.  Also, if you're not a fan of Cheez Whiz, another traditional way to serve these sandwiches is with Provolone cheese.  Just be sure to let the cheese melt on the meat before serving.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Wrap the hoagies in foil and warm them in the oven.

Melt the butter in a skillet and drizzle in some vegetable oil. Cook the bell peppers for about five minutes over medium high heat.  Add in the onions and cook until the veggies are tender.  Add in the garlic and season the veggies with salt and pepper and cook about 30 seconds.  Remove the veggies from the skillet and cover them to keep them warm.

Drizzle in a little more vegetable oil if necessary, and turn the heat up to high.  Add in the meat and generously season with salt and pepper.  Cook the steaks for about a minute or less on each side for medium rare and up to about one more minute if you want it closer to well done.  Move the meat to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.  Heat up the Cheez Whiz either in the microwave or in a small pot.  Split the hoagies open and fill them with the meat, veggies, and Cheez Whiz.

No comments:

Post a Comment