Sunday, May 24, 2015

Magic Cooking


I have seen a lot of pins on Pinterest for this Mississippi Roast.  I'm not sure why it's called that or where exactly it came from (I'm assuming Mississippi).  I have been very very skeptical about this recipe and very hesistant to try it.  Throw five ingredients into a crockpot, one being a roast, and no liquid.  How in the world could that be any good!  But my curiousity finally got the best of me, and I caved in and set out to try it.

I put it all in the crockpot before work.  It literally took me less than a minute, so it's ridiculously fast.  When I got home, it smelled amazing.  I lifted the lid off and snuck a little piece.  It tasted good.  But I wasn't sold yet.  The recipe calls for an entire stick of butter, so I was worried the sauce or gravy would be greasy.  Also, the directions on some of the pins didn't say how to serve it.  Some of the pins said to shred it with the sauce, so I went with that.  

My husband figured out a new trick.  If you have a stand mixer, put the meat and all of the juice into the bowl of the mixer with the batter attachment.  Shreds in 30 seconds or less!  Genius!  We served it over the best mashed potatoes in the world (so my family says).  And you know what?  It was like magic cooking.  It was outstanding!  Tender, juicy, very flavorful and not greasy at all.  In fact, it was so good that I just ate a little bit of the leftovers for breakfast.  Enjoy!

MISSISSIPPI ROAST
One 3-4 lb beef roast (any cut will do)
1 packet Ranch dip mix
1 packet Au Jus gravy mix
1 stick butter
5-10 pepperoncini peppers, stems removed
3 teaspoons garlic powder (I know, I said 5 ingredients, but garlic is essential!)

Put the roast in the crockpot and sprinkle the Ranch and Au Jus packets over the roast.  Place the stick of butter on top of the roast.  Place the peppers around the roast.  Don't add any liquid.  Trust me, you won't need it.  Cover the crockpot and cook the roast on low for about 8 hours (I let mine go 10 hours).  Shred the meat with all of the juice and peppers and serve over mashed potatoes or even rice. 

NOTE:  If you are making mashed potatoes to serve with it, be careful of the amount of salt you put in the potatoes.  The Ranch and Au Jus give the roast and potatoes enough salt and adding salt to the potatoes might make it too salty.  My secret for mashed potatoes is to use real butter and heavy whipping cream instead of milk.  Very rich, but very good. Also, I never peel potatoes, but my family is okay with that. 

2 comments:

  1. This is one of our FAVORITE recipes. I make it with stew meat (trimmed) so the flavor gets in all the meat and add a package of whole mushrooms. I made this for a friend who told me that it had been a long time since she had literally licked her plate clean! I have also made it stovetop while camping in our truck camper. I browned the stew meat and added a little water, cooking for about 30-45 minutes. Almost as good as the slow cooker version.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mushrooms sound like a great addition! And thank you for the other tips!

      Delete