Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Crazy Drivers


The other day, my son and I walked out the front door for me to take him to school and me to work.  As I walked out, a moth flew at me and I kind of jumped back, not that I'm scared of moths but it just surprised me.  Every year we seem to have a crazy invasion of moths here in West Texas. I didn't see where the moth went, so I assumed it flew away.  

Anywho, we got in the car and off we went.  When I turned off of our street and onto a big four-lane street, all of a sudden the moth was frantically flying around and bouncing off of the windshield.  I guess he piggybacked on my shirt or in my purse.  I rolled down the windows and started frantically waving my arms around trying to chase it out.  I told my son to do something, all the while he's hysterically laughing at me and saying, "it's just a moth, Mom."  I'm sure I swerved the car trying to get that thing out.  I probably looked like I was inebriated or crazy.  The moth finally flew out, and my son laughed at me all the way to school.

Have you ever had that experience?  My husband told me once that he was driving down the road and a bee flew in the window.  He said he slammed on the brakes right in the middle of the road and got out of the truck (yes, a lot of people do drive trucks in Texas).  Luckily no one hit him.  I can't say I blame him though.  I'd probably wet my pants or cry or just jump from the moving car.  Okay.  So none of that has to do with this recipe.  I just thought I'd share.

This recipe is for Chicken Pizzaiola.  Pizzaiola roughly translated means "pizza style."  Now, I'm not claiming that this version is anywhere near authentic.  The traditional Italian version of "carne pizzaiola" is meat cooked with peppers, tomatoes, and olive oil and a lot of times includes oregano and basil, thus giving it a kind of pizza flavor.  My version is a wildly varied version and Americanized.  I baked chicken breasts coated in Asiago cheese, then melted cheese with pepperoni on top.  I served it with some spaghetti and it was a hit!  It was really easy to make and (I just have to say it) it was darn tasty!

CHICKEN PIZZAIOLA
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
8 ounces Asiago cheese, shredded
2 teaspoons garlic powder
Black pepper, to taste
1 lb spaghetti
2 C marinara sauce (click for my recipe)
1 egg
4 thick slices Mozzarella cheese
16 slices pepperoni

Cook the spaghetti according to package directions.  Heat the marinara sauce in a small pot or in the microwave.

Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Butterfly the chicken completely in half so that you have 4 cutlets.  Whisk the egg with a little water.  Mix the Asiago cheese with the garlic powder and black pepper, to taste.  Dip the chicken into the egg wash and then both sides into the cheese mixture, pressing down to coat.  Lay the chicken on a greased sheet pan.  Bake the chicken 15-20 minutes or until it's at 165 degrees internally.  

Lay the Mozzarella slices over the chicken and four slices of pepperoni on each piece of chicken.  Return the pan to the oven and cook until the cheese has melted.  Mix the drained spaghetti with the warm marinara sauce.  Serve the chicken over the spaghetti.

2 comments:

  1. Oh this would be perfect on a rainy day like today! PS: I've totally had the bug-in-the-car episodes, too. There's nothing worse than driving on the freeway, and seeing a big spider crawl between the seats where you can't get to him! aaaaaaagh!

    ReplyDelete