Thursday, June 11, 2015

Crockpot Fun


It is hot here in West Texas.  I mean HOT!  It's been close to 100 degrees all week and very humid, which it's not usually humid here.  But we've had a lot of rain lately, so the humidity level is up.  It's definitely time to break out the crockpots and leave the oven off.

Awhile back, I posted a recipe for Mississippi Roast.  I was amazed at how so few ingredients could turn into such an outstanding dinner.  It got my wheels turning, and I decided I needed to figure out something like this for chicken.  I settled on Crockpot Buffalo Chicken.  While there are a couple more ingredients than the roast, It's still pretty simple.  I prepped the veggies the night before and had everything ready for the next morning.  When I got home, the house smelled fabulous!  I was concerned that the meat would be greasy, but, once I shredded it, it was perfect.  It made for some tasty sandwiches for dinner.  Grab a bag of chips and get ready!  I used a combination of boneless, skinless chicken thighs and boneless skinless chicken breasts.  It turned out to be a big hit at my house!  Enjoy!

CROCKPOT BUFFALO CHICKEN
FOR THE CHICKEN:
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 to 1 C buffalo wing sauce (I used Frank's)
1-2 packets Ranch dip mix (see note below)
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
3 green onions, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stick butter

TO SERVE:
Sandwich buns
Buffalo wing sauce
Crumbled blue cheese
Celery slices
Carrot slices
Green onions
Ranch dressing

NOTES:  I only used one packet of Ranch dip mix in mine, and I felt that it needed more.  But that all depends on how salty or strongly flavored chicken you want.  I used a whole cup of buffalo sauce, and it wasn't spicy.  Again, personal preference.  Also, I started my chicken early in the morning and let it go until dinner time.  I found that the cook time in the crockpot should have been cut way down since the meat was a little too soft.  I wouldn't leave it in the crockpot any longer than 5 hours, but start checking it at 3 1/2 hours for tenderness.  Once the chicken starts to pull apart easily, shred it right then.

Put the celery, onion, carrot, and garlic in the bottom of the crockpot.  Add the chicken over the top.  Sprinkle the packet(s) of Ranch over the top of the chicken.  Pour in the buffalo sauce and add the stick of butter on top.  Cook on low for 3-5 hours or until you can shred the chicken with a fork. Shred the chicken in with the sauce.  The chicken absorbs the sauce.  Serve the chicken on buns with Ranch dressing, blue cheese, and more buffalo wing sauce and with the celery sticks, carrot sticks, and green onions on the side, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment