Monday, June 8, 2015

Flaming Chickens


So last night we almost burned the house down by accident. It's kind of funny, but kind of not funny since my parents' house, along with 508 other houses, burned to the ground in Colorado in 2013.  But I'm going to not dwell on the past, and I'm going to tell you the story anyway.

So we bought two whole chickens, and we wanted to grill them butterflied under our salt block and baste them with homemade teriyaki sauce.  We made the sauce, butterflied the chickens, got the grill ready, and heated up the salt block. My husband started grilling the chickens and basting them. Meanwhile, I was in the kitchen making this Bacon & Eggs Ramen and cooking some potstickers.  He turned the chicken a few times, basted them, watched them.  He came in for a second and was standing in the kitchen.  

Next thing I know, he yelled a word I can't repeat here and ran out the back door.  I looked out the window, and our entire back porch was engulfed in smoke.  I ran out there and flames were shooting high.  He turned the grill off and fanned the flames off of the chickens.  He singed off all of the hair on one of his arms.  When the smoke cleared, he told me that the flames were shooting out of the back side of the grill and they were high!  Luckily we didn't set our roof on fire since the grill was a little close to the house.

We brought the chickens in and tried to salvage them, but it was too late.  By then, I remembered my potstickers that were steaming away on the stovetop in a skillet.  Nope, too late for those as well.  Most of them were burned on the bottom.  I made this awesome ramen with crispy garlic (which is fabulous if you like garlic), bacon, ramen eggs, and spinach.  While we found that the ramen was a little too salty, it was really really good.  My goal was to give you a picture of some beautifully grilled chickens, but I didn't think black, flaming chickens would go over very well.  It's a little funny that, although we have a lot of experience at this, we can still screw up dinner.  Enjoy the ramen.

BACON & EGGS RAMEN
FOR THE RAMEN EGGS:
6 eggs
1/2 C soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1 C water
1/2 C mirin wine
1 teaspoon ginger
2 T brown sugar
1 teaspoon chili paste (sambal oelek)

FOR THE RAMEN:
2 packages chicken ramen (save the seasoning packets for another use)
8 ounces bacon
4 cloves garlic
2 green onions, sliced
About 10 fresh spinach leaves
3 C water
1/8 to 1/4 C soy sauce (see notes)
1 teaspoon ginger
2 T rice wine vinegar
Chili paste, to taste (sambal oelek)
2 carrots, julienned (cut into matchsticks)

NOTES:  We tried cooking the ramen with chicken stock, but I changed the recipe to water.  The combination of bacon, soy sauce, and chicken stock left the ramen a bit too salty. I adjusted the recipe and just used water to cook the ramen. Add in a 1/8 C of soy sauce and taste it to see if you need more.  Also, ramen eggs are a popular accompaniment to ramen in Japan.  They are soft boiled eggs that are peeled and marinated in a soy sauce mixture.  They are so tasty. You're going to love them.

Bring a pot of water to boil.  Pierce one end of each egg with a needle and carefully lower the eggs into the water with a large spoon.  Reduce the heat very very slightly and cook the eggs for exactly six minutes.  Remove them from the heat and place them under cold running water.  Whisk together the remaining ramen egg ingredients together.  When the eggs are cool, very carefully peel them and put them into the marinade mixture.  Marinade the eggs for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.

Cut the bacon into small pieces and place it in a large skillet. Cook the bacon until crisp and drain on a paper towel.  Pour off all but 2 T of the bacon grease.  Very thinly slice the garlic cloves.  Turn the heat down to medium and gently fry the garlic cloves in the remaining bacon grease until lightly browned.  Don't walk away from the garlic because it can burn quickly.  Remove the garlic and drain it on the same plate with the bacon.  

Add the water to the same skillet and bring to a gentle boil and use a whisk to scrape up all the yummy bits on the skillet.  Add in the soy sauce, chili paste, ginger, and rice wine vinegar.  Add in the ramen and cook for about 5 minutes or until the ramen is done.  Remove the pan from the heat.  Stir in about 10 spinach leaves.  Spoon the ramen into bowls and serve with halved ramen eggs, carrot sticks, the bacon, green onions, and crispy garlic.

4 comments:

  1. Would love to try this but wondering if could use low sodium or no sodium ingredients for some of the "normal" ingredients on your list. I really must watch my sodium intake daily so all I use is low sodium or no sodium items if possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! This is a pretty salty dish, so cut back wherever you can. I'm pretty sure you can find low sodium soy sauce. I'm not sure if you can find low sodium bacon. Maybe turkey bacon? Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for answering my question. I'm sure I'll be able to find low sodium bacon somewhere around me and I already have low sodium soy sauce. Knowing others in my family they'll load up on the regular soy sauce (after I cook this) I stock for them, they have gotten use to me not using any salt or low sodium product over the last ten years, use to it but they prefer salt but understand why I don't use it. I love it when I can adapt a recipe to be as low in sodium as possible and I know this will be one my family will enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome! I'd love to hear how it turns out for you!

      Delete