Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Tasty Treats


A favorite quick meal at our house are these Tostadas.  They are easy to put together and quick and everyone loves them. I always have leftover pinto beans or refried beans in the freezer, and this is a great way to use them up.  The toppings can be whatever you like.  My husband only wants beans, cheese, and hot sauce on his.  Our son likes beans, cheese, and taco meat.  My daughter and I like them with all of that plus lettuce and sour cream.  But you could even use chicken fajita meat or shredded chicken or pork.  Just think of all the ways you could use leftovers here!  Even mashed black beans would be good.  Enjoy!

TOSTADAS
Tostada shells
Refried beans, preferably hot (see note)
Taco meat, preferably hot
Shredded cheese
Chopped tomatoes
Jalapeno slices
Hot sauce
Chopped iceberg lettuce
Sour cream

NOTE:  All of the toppings are optional.  My list is just suggestions, however I think the beans are a must.  You can use canned refried beans, or here are two of my recipes for refried beans:  Regular Refried Beans (click for recipe) or Frijoles Borrachos, also known as Drunken Beans, which are cooked with beer and lots of other good stuff.  Both of my recipes are crockpot recipes, and both make quite a bit of beans.  As I said above, they freeze really well in small containers and can be heated up easily in the microwave.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Place the tostada shells on a sheet pan.  Heat them in the oven for 5 minutes. Remove them from the oven and spread on beans, meat, and cheese.  Return them to the oven for a few minutes to heat the toppings and melt the cheese.  Serve with the lettuce, hot sauce, sour cream, or whatever toppings you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment