Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Improvising


Clumsy me, I managed to pull a muscle in my neck recently, and it's taking a little longer for it to heal than I have time for. I mean, really, how does this dumb neck think I'm going to stand up and work all day, 48 hours a week, or cook dinner so that I can bring you pretty pictures and yummy recipes.  I just don't have time for that, and my neck isn't cooperating. Luckily, I have a great husband who jumps in and helps, and he cooked dinner last night.

I wrote this recipe to be a pasta that cooks separately from the sauce, but I changed it last minute to a One Pot Wonder so that my husband could throw it together easily.  We are calling this Italian Flag Pasta.  It has red sundried tomatoes, white from the cheese and the chicken, and green from the spinach.  He did a fabulous job!  He even took the pictures! Here's a before shot:


Now, doesn't that look pretty!  This tasted so good.  The sauce was cheesy and the pasta cooked just right.  And, yes, the chicken cooks right along with everything else so it's truly a One Pot Wonder.  I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!

ITALIAN FLAG PASTA
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cubed
2 C fresh spinach leaves
One 8.5 ounce jar sundried tomatoes, drained
1 lb pasta, any shape
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/2 C grated Parmesan
2 C half & half
3-4 C chicken stock
Olive oil
Red chili flakes, to taste

Drizzle some olive oil into a large pot or dutch oven.  Place all of the remaining ingredients into the pot, starting with 2 C chicken stock.  Bring the pot to a boil and then reduce to medium heat.  Keep the pot covered, but stir it frequently.  If the sauce starts to cook out before the pasta is done, add more stock 1 C at a time.  I only had to add 1 C.  It took my shells about 30 minutes to simmer long enough to get the pasta soft and thicken up the sauce.

1 comment: