Monday, July 13, 2015

Tacos & Haboobs



I love tacos.  I'm sure I've told you that a gazillion times.  I like them in flour tortillas or corn tortillas or crunchy taco shells.  I could eat a taco every single day.  For breakfast, lunch and dinner.  There is quite an appeal about a little portable vessel that holds delectable fillings that just makes me squeal with joy.  

I also love my crockpot.  Here in West Texas, it gets hot.  I mean HOT!  And it's really dusty here.  Did you know we have dust storms here called haboobs?  They are crazy. Here's a picture I got from the National Weather Service of an actual haboob in my town. 



Crazy, huh.  You look outside and then this scary red thing is sweeping across the yard!  Good times.

Sorry, I got off track.  This post is about tacos.  If you've ever heard of a restaurant called Chipotle, then you know about their barbacoa.  It isn't quite a traditional barbacoa, since traditional barbacoa is the cheek meat of a cow.  Barbacoa translates to the word "barbecue" which is where barbecue was kind of born and transformed into what we know as barbecue today.  

Anyway, I made this copycat version of Chipotle's barbacoa. I used a pork shoulder in mine, which isn't traditional, but I just love pork.  This recipe is easy, tasty and a bit spicy.  I also made my homemade Pico de Gallo and a tasty Salsa Verde (recipe is at the end) to go with it.  You can use beef here if you'd like.  Heck, it's your taco.  Do what you want!  Enjoy!

COPYCAT CHIPOTLE BARBACOA
One 3 lb pork roast (shoulder or butt) (you can also use beef)
1 onion, chopped
1/4 C apple cider vinegar
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 T cumin
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 T brown sugar
2-4 chipotles in adobo
Juice of 1 lime
1 T chili powder

Put all of the ingredients into a crockpot and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or until the meat is tender.  Depending on your roast, you may need to drain off some of the liquid before shredding.  I drained off about half of the liquid and shredded the meat with the rest of the liquid.  You can serve this in flour or corn tortillas and garnish with cheese, Pico de Gallo, sour cream, and Salsa Verde.

SALSA VERDE
10 tomatillos
1-2 fresh jalapenos
4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 C chopped onion
1/4 C chopped cilantro
1 T lime juice
Salt and pepper, to taste

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Peel the papery skins off of the tomatillos and rinse them.  Put the tomatillos, jalapenos, and garlic cloves on a sheet pan.  Roast the veggies for about 15 minutes or until the jalapenos are charred.  When they are cool enough to handle, peel as much skin off of the jalapenos as you can and remove the stems and seeds.  Put the tomatillos, jalapenos, garlic and the remaining ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.

2 comments:

  1. I have trying to figure out where in West Texas you live. Now I know. I have seen those storms blow in followed by rain, snow and sunshine all on the same day. I never heard them called haboobs. But I did liver there in 1969 when the tornado hit town.

    I love tacos too.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've figured me out, Lita! Ha ha... And you're absolutely right about the weather. Crazy here. Enjoy!

      Delete