Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Teenagers


It's kind of a strange thing to have teenagers.  They can be wonderful at times or horrible at times.  Sometimes they are full of drama and other times they are beautiful things.  But, amidst all the drama or backtalking, we still love them.  I have recently come to the realization that they won't be with us much longer.  They are close to being adults and on their way out the door.  Our daughter is 17, and we rarely see her. Our son is almost 15, and we rarely see him either.  He stays in his room trying to conquer the world via internet.  We get a rare sighting of him every now and then when he comes out for food.  Sometimes he even says a word or too!  It seems like just yesterday I had to hold their hands everywhere we went so we wouldn't get separated.  

I feel like I haven't seen my daughter practically all summer. I'm gone all day, and she works the evening shift and closes at a restaurant.  I have to go to bed early and she's home late.  My husband waits up for her, and apparently they have great talks when she gets home.  I'm missing out.  She has grown to be such a beautiful young woman.  She came by the restaurant I work at the other day to visit me and eat lunch.  It was very sweet.  While I do look forward to it just being me and my husband, I know I will miss them.

I had the rare pleasure of having my daughter home last night, and it was just the two of us for dinner.  I made her one of her favorites...Crab, Avocado & Grapefruit Salad.  If you've never tried those flavors together, trust me, it's good.  And we both raved and raved over the dressing I threw together.  If you have a teenage daughter, have dinner with her.  She won't be home much longer.

CRAB, AVOCADO & GRAPEFRUIT SALAD
Mixed baby greens
8 ounces lumb crabmeat
2 avocados, sliced
1 pink grapefruit, peeled and cut into supremes *see note
Sliced green onions

FOR THE DRESSING:
2 1/2 T champagne vinegar
Juice of 1 pink grapefruit
2 T spicy brown mustard
1-2 T honey (more if you want it sweeter)
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 T dried parsley
1 shallot, minced
2 teaspoons garlic powder

FOR THE BAGUETTE CROUTONS:
One long baguette, sliced thin
1 stick butter, melted
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons dried parsley
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's), to taste
Black pepper, to taste

NOTE:  The art of cutting grapefruits or other citrus fruits into "supremes" is to peel the fruit, segment it, and remove the membrane around each segment.  If you need a demonstration, click this link to Saveur Magazine for details.  

For the croutons, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Whisk together the butter, garlic powder, dried parsley, seasoned salt and pepper.  Toss the baguette slices in the butter. Spread the slices out in a single layer on a sheet pan.  Bake for 13 minutes.  Turn them over and then continue baking them in 5 minute increments until the croutons are browned and crispy.

For the dressing, whisk all of the dressing ingredients together.  Serve each salad on a bed of mixed baby greens with some crabmeat, grapefruit segments, avocado slices, and green onion slices and garnish with the dressing and croutons.

No comments:

Post a Comment