Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Back to School


So yesterday was the first day of school for my kids.  I now have two children in high school...my son's first year and my daughter's last year.  It's kind of bittersweet.  It all goes by so fast.  I'm looking forward to not being responsible for them and them being in charge of themselves and alone time with my husband, but I know I will miss them terribly when they move out.

With the hustle and bustle of school starting again, I am on the search for easy weeknight dinners.  I made this Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole last night, and it was a huge hit!  My husband is out of town on business, and both of my kids were actually home last night and sat down and ate dinner with me.  It was a nice evening.

This casserole uses things I don't normally cook with, like cream of mushroom soup and Stove Top Stuffing, but this sounded so good I just had to try it.  The stuffing got a little crunchy on top and that was a good contrast to the filling. And it was really good!  It was really easy to put together too. You could buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it and it could be even easier.  Enjoy!

CHICKEN CORDON BLEU CASSEROLE
1 box Stove Top Stuffing, chicken flavor
2 1/2 C cooked, shredded chicken
One 8-ounce package deli ham, chopped
2 cans cream of chicken soup
2 T Dijon mustard
3 C broccoli florets (cut into small florets)
8 Swiss cheese slices
2/3 C milk
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Prepare the stuffing mix according to the package directions.  

Meanwhile, whisk together the cream of chicken soups, Dijon mustard, milk, onion powder and garlic powder.  Stir the chicken, broccoli and ham into the soup mixture.  Spread the chicken mixture into a 9 x 13 pan.  Lay the cheese slices over the chicken mixture (they may overlap a little).  Spread the stuffing all over the cheese.  Bake the casserole 35-40 minutes or until it's browned on top and hot all the way through.

Adapted from Kraft Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment