Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Dinner for One


My husband travels for work a lot, so I'm at home with the kids without him, except my daughter works until 10:30 at night and my son rarely comes out of his room.  So a lot of nights it's just me and the boy for dinner, and half of that time he doesn't eat what I cook since he's a little picky.  

So last night I decided I wanted a salad with steak in it.  My son won't eat salads unless there's fried chicken strips, bacon, boiled eggs, and Cheddar cheese (which this salad definitely does not have), so it was just me for dinner.  I made this very yummy Steak & Spinach Salad.  I used boneless ribeye steaks (indulgent, I know), made a creamy Italian dressing, homemade buttery croutons, and added in lots of veggies. Doesn't it look pretty! 

Now, since I am used to cooking for four people, I don't know how to cook for one.  This salad was enough for four people. It's okay, though.  I took the leftovers to work and it got gobbled up there.  The people I work with are so funny.  They sometimes fight over the leftovers I bring them.  But luckily they eat my leftovers, otherwise I would have to throw them away.  I cook so many nights of the week to bring you yummy recipes, so we don't get to all the leftovers.  

Anywho, I hope you enjoy this salad.  It's darn tasty!

STEAK & SPINACH SALAD
FOR THE STEAK:
1 lb boneless ribeye steaks (mine were actually 1.38 lbs)
2 T butter
Salt & pepper

FOR THE CROUTONS:
1/2 loaf French bread, cut into cubes
1 stick butter, melted
2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1-2 teaspoons seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 T dried parsley

FOR THE DRESSING:
1 packet Italian dressing mix (I like Good Seasons Zesty Italian)
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 C mayonnaise
3 T red wine vinegar
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 C milk

FOR THE SALAD:
One 10-ounce bag fresh baby spinach
Black olives
Pepperoncini peppers
Grape tomatoes, halved
Sliced red onion
Shaved Parmesan cheese
Sliced cucumber
Sliced radishes

NOTES:  This salad will easily feed four people.  I like the Zesty Italian dressing packet since it's not sweet like some other Italian dressing packets.  I didn't give measurements for most of the salad ingredients, so use as much or as little as you like.  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together the butter and the seasonings for the croutons and toss the bread cubes in the butter mixture.  Spread them out on a sheet pan in an even layer.  Bake the croutons until they are browned and crispy which can take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes, depending on your oven.  After 15 minutes, keep checking them every 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, put all of the dressing ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  Put it into the fridge until you are ready to use it.

For the steaks, melt the butter in an extremely hot pan over high heat (preferably a cast iron pan).  Season the side of the steak going onto the surface of the pan first generously with salt and pepper.  Cook the steaks for 3-5 minutes (3 for rare, 5 for more done).  Generously salt and pepper the top side and flip the steaks.  Continue to cook the steaks for 3-5 minutes or until your desired doneness.  Put the steaks on a plate and cover them with foil.  Let them rest about 5-8 minutes before slicing them thin. 

Pile up some spinach on a plate and top with the sliced steaks, the veggies, cheese, and croutons and serve with the dressing. 

2 comments:

  1. I've lived alone for 26 years (except a son who lived with me about 20 of those years). But like your was either not at home or didn't come out of his room to eat. Cooking for 1 doesn't have to be bland and boring. This salad sounds like a good one for me. Thanks for sharing.for
    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome, Linda! You may want to reduce the amounts some, but it was really tasty! Enjoy!

      Delete