Wednesday, August 19, 2015

I Love Sushi


Well, I don't have any exciting stories to tell you today about being electrocuted at work or bad anniversary dinners, but I do have an awesome sushi recipe for you.  Now, some of you may not like sushi or may have never had it, but I think you should give it a chance.  At least try a California Roll. They always taste fresh and have cooked shrimp, rice, cucumber, carrots, green onions, and avocado.  And the nori, or seaweed sheets, really don't have much taste.  And, if you like horseradish, you will like wasabi.  I will eat some of the raw sushi like tuna or salmon, but I haven't ventured out to try anything crazy like eel or yellowtail or whatever other raw fish they serve.  My husband and daughter love sushi as well, but you'll never see my son go anywhere near it.

I wanted to make a dragon roll which is tempura shrimp inside a sushi roll and usually with some spicy mayo on top. But, since I'm from Texas, I wanted to do a Texas Dragon Roll.  Sure, it's probably nowhere near authentic to a real dragon roll, but it's my blog and my kitchen so I can do what I want, right?  My Texas Dragon Roll has yummy tempura fried shrimp inside with some thin sliced green onion strips, cream cheese, and it's topped with avocado, spicy mayo, salsa, and jalapeno slices.  And you know what, it was darn tasty! Enjoy!

TEXAS DRAGON ROLL
FOR THE ROLL:
1 1/2 C sushi rice
2 C water
12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined (see note)
8 ounces cream cheese, cut into thin long strips
1 green onion, sliced into long thin strips
6 half sheets of nori
1 1/4 C flour
1 egg
1 1/4 C ice water
1 1/2 T cornstarch
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Peanut oil, for frying

FOR THE SPICY MAYO:
1/2 C mayonnaise
2 T Sriracha
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon lime juice

FOR SERVING:
Very thin slices of avocado
Salsa (your favorite brand or homemade)
Wasabi
Soy sauce
Jalapeno slices

NOTES:  I left the tails on some of the shrimp so that I could have two sticking out for the "head" of the dragon and one sticking out for the "tail" of the dragon.  Unless you plan to take pictures, you can just remove the tail for ease of eating. Also, I wrapped my sushi mat in plastic wrap before rolling the sushi and it made the process a whole lot easier and they shaped a lot better.  Also, sushi rice needs to be completely cold before trying to roll.  It will roll smoother and be easier to work with.

For the sushi rice, cook it according to the package directions (your measurements may be different than mine.  Just use whatever your package says).  The rice then needs to be completely cold before rolling the rolls.

For the spicy mayo, whisk all of the ingredients together and keep in the fridge until you're ready to use it.  

For the shrimp, mix together the flour, egg, ice water, cornstarch, garlic powder, and season with salt and pepper to taste.  I cut each shrimp in half so they would fit better in the rolls.  Preheat some peanut oil in a large skillet to medium high heat.  Dip the shrimp into the flour mixture and shake off the excess.  Fry the shrimp until they are golden brown on both sides, about 3-5 minutes per side.  Keep them warm in a 200 degree oven until they are all cooked (if you have to cook in batches). 

When the shrimp is ready, it's time to assemble your rolls. Have a bowl of water ready for your hands to spread the rice. Take one nori sheet and spread rice, wetting your hands as necessary, all over the nori sheet.  Turn the sheet over so that the rice will be on the outside.  Next put a slice of cream cheese down longways on the nori.  Add in a couple of slices of green onion and a row of shrimp.  Use the mat to roll up the roll tightly.  Next, line thin slices of avocado down the top of the roll.  Use a piece of plastic wrap to shape the avocado slices down around the roll.  Cut the roll into half-inch pieces. Repeat with the other nori sheets.  Serve the rolls with salsa, spicy mayo, and jalapeno slices and wasabi and soy sauce, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment