Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Long or Short


Before I started blogging and writing my own recipes, I cooked but I had to follow a recipe and couldn't make up my own.  But I started learning and researching, and now I can write my own recipes.  Some of my recipes are totally all me, and some of my recipes are things that I've adapted from somewhere else.  This recipe is something that I've made for many years, but I've adapted it and changed it so that it's totally from scratch.  This is Cheddar Bay Chicken Casserole.

What's Cheddar Bay, you ask?  Well, if you've been to Red Lobster, you've had these biscuits.  They are tender and garlicky and darn tasty.  When I've made this recipe in the past, I used shortcuts like cream of chicken soup and Bisquick.  I don't really use a lot of those kind of products anymore, so I've adapted it to use all from-scratch ingredients.  However, I will include the shortcuts.  I know that time is valuable and sometimes shortcuts are necessary, so I'll give it to you both ways.  This casserole is truly wonderful, and I just know you're going to love it!

CHEDDAR BAY CHICKEN CASSEROLE
(LONG VERSION)
2 T butter
Olive oil
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 C diced carrots
1 C diced onions
1/2 C diced celery
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
2 1/2 C chicken stock
1/4 C flour
1 C sour cream
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
Salt & pepper, to taste

FOR THE BISCUITS:
2 C flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 T cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 C shredded Cheddar cheese (plus a little more for the top)
3/4 C buttermilk
2 T melted butter
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided

NOTE:  I cooked this casserole in a smaller round pan, so all of my biscuits didn't fit.  I put them on a sheet pan and cooked them about 15 minutes and served them separately. I think that, if you cook this in a 9 x 13 pan, all of the biscuits will fit.

Boil the chicken in water seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder.  Let it cool enough to handle and then shred it.  

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  While the chicken is cooking, melt the 2 T butter in a large skillet and drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the carrots, celery, and onions until they are almost tender.  Add in the mushrooms and the garlic and cook until the mushrooms are soft.  Whisk in the flour.  Whisk in the chicken stock, sour cream, Worcestershire sauce, and season with salt and pepper.  Stir in the shredded chicken. Cook the sauce until it's thickened and bubbly.  Pour this mixture into a casserole pan.

For the biscuits, the best method is to use your hands. Put the flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and cold butter in a bowl and squeeze them together and mash it around to combine.  Add in the cheese and buttermilk and use your hands to fully mix it and combine it.  Roll the dough into little balls.  Put the balls on top of the chicken mixture, being sure to leave a little bit of room in between each one so they can grow.  

Bake the casserole about 40 to 45 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and done through.  During the last five minutes, brush the melted butter over the top and sprinkle on the other teaspoon of garlic powder and the dried parsley and a little bit of cheddar cheese and return to the oven for the last five minutes.

(SHORT VERSION)
2 1/2 C cooked, shredded chicken
One 10-ounce bag of frozen vegetables (see note)
One 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
1 C sour cream
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 C chicken stock
Salt & pepper, to taste

FOR THE BISCUITS:
2 C flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
4 T cold butter, cut into small pieces
1 C shredded Cheddar cheese (plus a little more for the top)
3/4 C buttermilk
2 T melted butter
1 teaspoon dried parsley
2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided

NOTE:  The vegetable blend needs to at least include carrots, onion, celery and mushrooms.  Other veggies like broccoli or peas would be a great addition here.  Also, a rotisserie chicken is a great shortcut for cooked, shredded chicken.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Microwave the veggies according to package directions.  Whisk together the sour cream, chicken stock, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, cream of chicken soup, and salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in the shredded chicken and veggies.  Put the chicken mixture into a casserole pan (see note under long version about size of pan).  

For the biscuits, the best method is to use your hands. Put the flour, baking soda, 1 teaspoon garlic powder, and cold butter in a bowl and squeeze them together and mash it around to combine.  Add in the cheese and buttermilk and use your hands to fully mix it and combine it.  Roll the dough into little balls.  Put the balls on top of the chicken mixture, being sure to leave a little bit of room in between each one so they can grow.

Bake the casserole about 40 to 45 minutes or until the biscuits are golden and done through.  During the last five minutes, brush the melted butter over the top and sprinkle on the other teaspoon of garlic powder and the dried parsley and a little bit of cheddar cheese and return to the oven for the last five minutes.

2 comments:

  1. Could I use the red lobster cheddar biscuit mix in the short version?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so! Sounds like a great shortcut. Thanks for the idea!

      Delete