Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Shockwaves



So I got electrocuted at work today.  Kind of a horrific event, but I am able to joke about it now.  We have a small deep fryer at work that I use to fry corn tortillas cut into strips for one of our salads and into small chips for Chicken Tortilla Soup that we have every Friday.  There I was, minding my own business, waiting on my chips.  I grabbed the metal handle on the basket in an attempt to shake the chips around when I suddenly felt zzz zzz zzz.  I thought someone had grabbed me by the shoulders and was violently shaking me. And again zzz zzz zzz.  I tried to form the word "stop" but couldn't speak.  Then again zzz zzz zzz.  It was then I realized it was the deep fryer zapping me.  I somehow managed to let go and then screamed.

My boss and a coworker came over to find out what happened.  Apparently I was sort of convulsing and shaking my hands.  I told them I was electrocuted.  Then I got really lightheaded and dizzy.  I really thought I was going to faint. They brought me a chair to sit down.  It was crazy!  I felt the electricity in my arms for a couple of hours.  About a half hour later, I developed a headache.  Then I started panicking.  I thought, what if I have brain damage?  Will I be able to make these orders?  Am I having trouble thinking?  I told my boss about those thoughts later in the day and we both had a good laugh about it.  I also told him I will never touch that deep fryer again.  Luckily my brave coworker said he would fry the chips from now on.  Good times.

Now that I've given you a traumatizing story, I'll give you a recipe.  Risotto is an Italian dish, but why can't we make a Tex-Mex version.  Sure we can!  This is my Shrimp, Poblano & Corn Risotto.  It's darn tasty!  

SHRIMP, POBLANO & CORN RISOTTO
12 ounces shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 T butter
Olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C arborio rice
3 ears fresh corn
2 poblano peppers
3/4 C crumbled Cotija cheese (divided)
2 T chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 onion, chopped
2 teaspoons lime juice (divided)
2 teaspoons cumin
6-8 C chicken stock
Salt & pepper, to taste

NOTE:  Risotto takes a little time to make, so expect at least 20-25 minutes to get it done.  The process is to keep adding ladles of stock to the rice, stirring it frequently, cooking the stock out, adding more stock.  But it produces a very creamy and delicious meal.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Put the poblanos on a sheet pan and into the oven.  Roast them, turning occasionally, until they are charred and black on all sides. When they are cool enough to handle, peel as much of the skin off as you can.  Remove the stem and seeds and chop them.

Meanwhile, cut the corn kernels off of the cob and set them aside.  Put the stock into a pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer there.  Melt the butter in a large skillet or dutch oven and drizzle in some olive oil.  Cook the shrimp on medium high heat until they are done, about 5-6 minutes.  Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of lime juice in with the shrimp and lightly season them with salt and pepper. Remove the shrimp to a plate and keep them warm.  Add the onion to the same skillet or pot.  Cook the onions until they are tender.  

Turn the heat down to medium low.  Add the rice, garlic, and cumin to the pot and stir it around.  Add in a ladle full of stock.  Cook and stir frequently until most of that stock is absorbed.  Continue the process of adding a ladle full of stock, etc., until the rice is soft.  You will need to taste it to make sure.  Before you add the last bit of stock, add in the corn kernels, chopped poblanos, cilantro, 1 teaspoon lime juice, and 1/2 C Cotija cheese.  Taste for salt and pepper and add some, if necessary.  Stir the shrimp in and serve the risotto with a little more Cotija on top.

4 comments:

  1. omg! As a nurse I am going to encourage you to contact your physician to see what he or she says. I do not want to scare you but you need to let them know.
    I am so sorry this happened to you, but actually it may help someone else in the future. I hope you're feeling much better. Thanks for sharing your "adventure". Evelyn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your concern, Evelyn. I am fine now. I was just a little shook up. And you're welcome!

      Delete
  2. Glad you are OK! Think it is time to replace the fryer!

    ReplyDelete