Sunday, September 6, 2015

Car Washaphobia


My husband bought me a new car earlier this year, and I absolutely love it.  He also bought me unlimited premium car washes, so I could go every day if I wanted to.  But...I have a strange phobia of car washes.  Not the do-it-yourself car washes.  It's the kind where you drive up, a guy waves you in and tells you which way to adjust your wheels, and then you put it in neutral and ride through.  Seems harmless enough, right?  Not for me.

You see, I kinda panic when I head in.  A few years ago, I tried it and I accidentally put the car in reverse instead of neutral.  They had to stop the conveyer and get my tires lined back up.  So now I freak out a little.  Is it time yet?  Neutral now?  Then there's a slight panic while I'm going through. What if my tires get off track?  What if the car in front of me did?  Am I going to hit that car that I can't see?  

Then comes the end and this is where I really panic.  There are two guys at the end of the conveyer with towels to dry the car off.  When they are done and it's time for you to put it in drive, they give you a thumbs up signal.  But they are behind you sort of and you have to watch in your side mirrors to see the signal.  Sounds easy enough.  But wait.  They put you in so close to the car in front of me that I panic that they aren't going to move fast enough and my car will hit theirs.  I have gone twice now by myself in my new car, and the last time I actually started waving my arms around like an idiot because I didn't think the car in front of me was going to move in time. The towel drier guys got a good laugh at that.  I wonder if I'm the only one that is afraid of car washes.

Anywho, this recipe is a lot less stressful than a car wash. This is a Florentine Chicken Ring.  It's full of spinach, shredded chicken, and cheese.  It's wrapped up in crescent rolls and baked.  Easy, right?  This is another one of my quick weeknight meals and everyone loved it!  Enjoy!

FLORENTINE CHICKEN RING
2 C cooked, shredded chicken
1/2 C diced red bell pepper
One 10-ounce package frozen spinach, thawed
1 C shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
3/4 C mayonnaise
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt & pepper, to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 green onions, sliced
2 cans crescent rolls

NOTES:  For an even quicker meal, switch the bell pepper out for a small can of pimentos, drained.  You could buy a rotisserie chicken and shred that for the cooked chicken.  I boil a bunch of chicken breasts, let them cool, and then shred them and freeze them in about 2 C portions so that I'll have cooked chicken on hand ready to go.  Also, buying pre-shredded cheese is a good shortcut.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.  Put the spinach in a towel and squeeze out as much water as you can.  In a bowl, stir together the chicken, spinach, bell pepper, mayo, lemon juice, salt & pepper, cheese, garlic powder, nutmeg and green onion.  

Separate the crescent rolls.  In a pan large enough to fit the ring, lay out the crescent triangles in a circular pattern with the fat ends overlapping and the points sticking out.  Here's a picture:  


Spread the chicken filling around the overlapped parts of the crescents.  Take the pointed end of the crescents and fold them over the filling and tuck them under in the center.  The filling should show through.  Bake the ring for 25-30 minutes or until the ring is browned and the dough on the bottom is cooked.

Adapted from Pampered Chef

No comments:

Post a Comment