Wednesday, September 30, 2015

German Cucumber Salad


This German Cucumber Salad, or Gurkensalat, has a very interesting flavor journey.  First you get sweet, then salty, then tangy.  I saw recipes where they peeled the cucumbers. I saw it with and without tomatoes.  I saw where they let it sit in the fridge for 8 hours.  I didn't peel my cucumbers, I used tomatoes, and we ate it right away!  If you love cucumbers, you'll love this!

GERMAN CUCUMBER SALAD
2 large cucumbers, very thinly sliced
Salt & pepper, to taste
1/4 C very thinly sliced red onion
1/2 C sour cream
1 T sugar
3 T vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon garlic powder
3 T fresh dill weed, chopped
1 T dried parsley
1 C grape tomatoes, quartered

NOTES:  It is best to slice the cucumbers and onions on a mandolin if you can.  Also, I saw recipes where they used up to 3 T sugar.  I don't care for sweet stuff all that much, so I used less.  It's up to you.  Also, I used apple cider vinegar, but you could use regular white vinegar or champagne vinegar or whichever is your favorite.

Spread the cucumber slices out on a sheet pan and salt them.  Let them sit for 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, mix together the sour cream, sugar, vinegar, dill weed, parsley, Dijon, and garlic.  Taste for seasoning and adjust the sugar and salt and add pepper, if desired.

Squeeze the cucumbers dry in a towel.  Stir the onion slices, cucumber slices, and tomatoes into the dressing.  Serve cold.

2 comments: