Sunday, September 27, 2015

Pesto Party


So lately I've been kind of hooked on pesto.  I found a store-bought brand that is so good that I got caught in the kitchen eating out of the jar with a spoon.  Seriously, my daughter walked in and saw me.  Then she took the spoon and tasted it too.  She said, "wow, I see why you're sneaking around with this stuff."  Sure, I've made homemade pesto before and it was good.  But, since I got promoted at work, I work an extra hour every day.  Also, my son stays at school unti 5:30 every other day for cross country.  So I'm still on my quest for easy weeknight dinners.

Anywho...this chicken.  I'm calling it Roma Pesto Chicken.  I slathered some pesto on chicken breasts, covered it with Roma tomato slices and Mozzarella cheese, and baked it. OH MY WORD!  Was this stuff good!  It literally was ready for the oven in about 5 minutes and cooked relatively quickly.  It was divine!  Happy dinner!

ROMA PESTO CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Garlic powder
Black pepper
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
One 8-ounce jar traditional basil pesto
2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
8 ounces Mozzarella cheese, sliced

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with garlic powder, seasoned salt (lightly), and black pepper.  Put the chicken in a glass casserole pan.  Spread the pesto all over the tops of the chicken.  Lay the tomato slices down the tops of the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese all over the tops of the chicken.  Bake covered for 40 minutes or until a thermometer inserted in the center of the chicken registers at 165 degrees.  **Be sure and watch the chicken during the last 10 to 15 minutes or so to make sure the cheese isn't burning.  If it is getting brown too quickly, cover it with foil during the remaining cook time.

No comments:

Post a Comment