Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Sharing



My husband is a district manager for a shipping company. He has two problem stations in Oklahoma, and he's been going there every week for eight weeks.  He even had one stretch where he was gone 14 days!  It was terrible for the both of us.  We get along really well and hate spending time apart.

Anywho, I keep on cooking like we are all here.  Our daughter is gone to work in the evenings most of the time, and our son is still a little picky and doesn't eat a lot of what I cook.  So my lucky employees get a lot of leftovers.  I bring them to work, eat what I can for lunch, share with them, and then somebody gets to take the rest home.  Okay, so sometimes I kind of force it on them.  It's good food and I don't want it to go to waste.

On my never-ending quest for quick weeknight meals, I made this Sausage & Baby Broccoli Pasta.  It cooks up quick and tasted fantastic!  It's not a real saucy pasta, but I used some of the cooking liquid for the pasta to give it a light sauce and to help melt in the Parmesan cheese.  And the picky one liked it!  I hope you enjoy it too!

SAUSAGE & BABY BROCCOLI PASTA
1 lb fettuccine
1 lb Italian sausage (casings removed if not bulk)
5 garlic cloves, minced
Red chili flakes, to taste
1 bunch baby broccoli (florets only)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
Salt & pepper, to taste
Olive oil

Cook fettuccine according to package directions.  Save about 3 ladles of the cooking liquid for the pasta.

Drizzle some olive oil into a large skillet.  Cook the onion over medium high heat until tender.  Add in the broccoli and cook 1 minute.  Add in the sausage and the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until sausage is cooked.  Add in the Parmesan cheese and chili flakes.  Stir in the fettuccine.  Stir in the pasta liquid, 1 ladle at a time, until the cheese melts and sticks to the pasta and there is a light sauce.  Garnish the pasta with more Parmesan cheese and chili flakes, if desired.

Adapted from America's Test Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment