Monday, October 12, 2015

I'm a Klutz



Okay, so I'm a klutz.  Not in the foolish definition of it, but I just manage to run into things, bruise myself, and be a little accident prone.  Just yesterday I rubbed my elbow and it hurt and there's a bruise on it.  I have no clue what I did.  I have a tendency to walk very fast at work (well, and everywhere), and I bump into things a lot.  I wouldn't really say I'm clumsy. I'd just say I have bad aim when it comes to walking.  I've run into things at home, and my husband will say, "that bedpost didn't jump out in your way."  I'm like, "yes, it did!  It's out to get me!"

I had a car a long time ago that had those automatic seat belts, you know, when you open the door they move forward automatically or when you close the door the seat belt comes back at you.  When I got rid of that car and got a car without automatic seat belts, I think I spent like six months trying to get out of the car with my seat belt on.  That car was an SUV, and at least once a week I'd open the door and try to get in and hit my sunglasses on the door while the sunglasses were on my face.  I'm also that person who is always tripping over nothing.  People seem to be very amused by that.  Good times.

So I made this flatbread pizza the other day.  I'm calling it Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza.  I really didn't intend to put bacon on it.  But the dough makes two flatbreads, so I made a meat lover's version for the boys.  They had a little extra bacon that they didn't know existed so I snatched a little up for my pizza.  This pizza doesn't really have a sauce, but it has pesto.  Yummmmm....I love pesto.  It also has three cheeses, one of which is called Ricotta Salata.  Ricotta Salata is a sheep's milk cheese which is a hard, crumbly, salty cheese.  If you can't find that, you could use feta, goat cheese, or whatever cheese you like.  As you can tell from the picture, I really like browned cheese.  You don't have to brown yours as much if you don't.  This dough recipe is so good too and easy.  It stays incredibly soft.  If you like pesto and cheese and spinach, this pizza is for you!

PESTO SPINACH FLATBREAD PIZZA
FOR THE DOUGH:
1 1/4 C warm water, 110-115 degrees
1 package highly active yeast
3 C flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
3 T olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried parsley

FOR THE PIZZA:
4 ounces traditional basil pesto (I like the Classico brand)
1/2 C shredded Mozzarella
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese
1/4 C crumbled Ricotta Salata (or your cheese of choice)
12-14 fresh spinach leaves (or more if you like)
Cooked and crumbled bacon (optional)

NOTE:  The dough recipe makes enough for two large rustic pizzas.  I made the Pesto Spinach Flatbread Pizza and then I made a meat lover's version for the boys and used marinara sauce. You can either double the pizza ingredients and make two or make another pizza of your choice.  I haven't tried freezing pizza dough, so I'm not sure if that will work or not. Or you could maybe refrigerate the other half of the dough and use it in a day or two.

For the dough, put the water, yeast, and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.  Let it sit about 5 minutes to get frothy.  Next add in the remaining dough ingredients and knead with a dough hook until the dough comes together in a ball.  The dough will be sticky.  Put it in a large greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap.  Let it rise in a warm place for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

After an hour, turn the dough out onto a well floured board. Divide the dough in half.  Roll one half of the dough out into about a 12-14 inch freeform shape.  Curl the edges up to make the crust.  Put the dough on a sheet pan or pizza stone.  Let the dough rise about 15 more minutes.  Bake the dough for about 5 minutes.  Take the dough out of the oven and spread the pesto all over the top, including over the crust.  Lay out some spinach leaves all over the top.  Sprinkle on the cheeses and bacon, if desired.  Bake the pizza for about 20-25 minutes or until the dough is done and the cheese is melted and browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment