Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Jam Out


Do you ever turn the radio up really loud in your car and jam? Sometimes I do.  I have a pretty decent stereo in my car, and I like to turn it up really loud sometimes.  The bass rattles the windows and the rear view mirror.  I know, I'm like a kid. Every now and then I may even dance.  I'm sure I look ridiculous.  My husband and I were at a stoplight on Sunday and the girl in the car next to us was really jamming out and dancing.  It was quite humorous.  

So this recipe is about jam.  I saw a burger with this bacon-onion jam on it somewhere, and I thought it would be great with chicken.  So I made Chicken with Bacon-Onion Jam. And what dish is complete without cheese.  Don't answer that.  I know some things can't have cheese.  But I like cheese, and it is one of the New Four Food Groups.  Not only is this recipe easy to make, it's darn tasty!  Enjoy!

CHICKEN WITH BACON-ONION JAM
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Garlic powder
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
Black pepper
1/2 lb bacon, chopped
2 onions, thinly sliced
Pinch white sugar
Salt & pepper, to taste
3 T red wine vinegar
2 1/2 T brown sugar
1/2 C water
2 cloves garlic, minced
8 slices cheese (I used Pepper Jack)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Season the chicken on both sides with a little garlic powder, seasoned salt, and black pepper.  Bake the chicken on a sheet pan for about 16 minutes and then flip it over.  Bake it again for another 14-16 minutes or until it registers at 165 degrees internally with a thermometer.

Meanwhile, fry the bacon until crisp and drain it on a paper towel.  Pour off all but about 2 T of the grease.  Put the onions and a pinch of white sugar into the skillet.  Reduce the heat slightly and cook and stir the onions constantly until they are soft and caramelized, about 10 to 15 minutes.  Add in the red wine vinegar, bacon, garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste, brown sugar, and water.  Cook and stir until almost all of the liquid is out.

When the chicken is almost done, remove it from the oven. Spread the bacon-onion jam all over the tops of the chicken. Top each piece of chicken with two cheese slices.  Return the pan to the oven to melt the cheese and slightly brown it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment