Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Life Changing


If you follow me on Facebook, then you already know about my life-changing moment last night.  LIFE CHANGING! While I was grocery shopping last weekend, I saw something that caught my eye.  It's something that I've seen for years but haven't ever tried it.  On a whim, just because, I bought it. Last night I cooked it.  I can't believe I've been missing out on this for so long!  Are you ready for it?  Bacon Ends & Pieces. ENDS AND PIECES!!!  The ends are where the bacon gets most crispy.  There are big pieces of bacon in the bag.  I fried some up and it was fantastic!  Super crispy, meaty bacon. I'm in love!

I posted it on Facebook, and I got lots of ideas from my Facebook friends about what to do with it.  Some put it in pinto beans while they simmer.  Some put them in green beans while they cook.  BAKED BEANS!  Oh, my!  Soups, stews, the ideas are endless.  I want to make a big batch of Carnitas with it.  If you're a bacon fan, you're going to love this stuff!  It's awesome!

Okay, I know.  I need to calm down.  So the picture above is Swiss Chicken.  I coated chicken breasts with crushed up croutons and baked it.  Then I topped it with crumbled bacon and Swiss cheese.  It's pretty fantastic too.  And so easy! Enjoy!

SWISS CHICKEN
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 lb bacon
1 teaspoon seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
1 teaspoon black pepper
1-2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 C mayonnaise
1 C crushed seasoned croutons
8 slices Swiss cheese

NOTES:  My cook times on the chicken may differ from yours.  Always use a meat thermometer and cook chicken to 165 degrees internally.  Mine took around 31 minutes to get done.  Also, I did use the bacon ends and pieces here, but you can use just regular bacon too.  I used croutons for the coating just because I had some that we weren't going to use.  Seasoned breadcrumbs would work just fine too.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the mayo with the seasoned salt, black pepper, and garlic powder.  Spread the mayo on both sides of the chicken and then press both sides of the chicken into the crushed croutons.  Put the chicken on a sheet pan and bake for about 16 minutes.  Turn the chicken over and cook an additional 14-18 minutes or until it is at 165 degrees internally.  

While the chicken is cooking, cook and crumble the bacon and drain it on a paper towel.  During the last 5 minutes or so of cooking the chicken, pile the bacon up on the four breasts and top each with two slices of Swiss cheese.  Return to the oven to melt the cheese and brown it, if desired.

4 comments:

  1. I think I need some bacon ends to change my life too! PS: that chicken looks divine! =0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have used Bacon Ends and pieces for far too many years.. I stop buying it not sure why.. I may just have to go back and rediscover my love for Bacon E&P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad I found them, Mommacancook! I will certainly keep buying them too. Enjoy!

      Delete