Sunday, October 4, 2015

Baked Fontina


So I came across a recipe for Baked Fontina.  It looked and sounded so good.  I'd never eaten Fontina cheese before, so I had to try it.  Shut the front door!  This stuff is amazing! True decadence at its finest!  It's really quick to make and cook. Sit down with a hunk of French bread and dip it in and pull pieces of gooey, tasty, amazing cheese!  This is even better leftover.  It gets really solid in the fridge, but it melts again really well in the microwave.  My husband was out of town when I originally made it, but he ate some leftover and loved it!  I could go on and on and on about this Baked Fontina.  It's super duper darn tasty!

BAKED FONTINA
18 ounces Fontina cheese

1 T fresh chopped thyme (leaves only)
1 T fresh chopped Italian parsley (leaves only)
1 T fresh chopped chives
6 cloves garlic, very finely minced
Salt & pepper
Olive oil
French bread, for dipping

NOTES:  I used a cast iron skillet for this.  I recommend using that or a nonstick ovenproof skillet.  It will probably work in a stainless steel skillet since there's enough fat in cheese and olive oil, but I haven't tested that to see if it sticks.  Also, the original recipe I looked at said to use 1/4 C olive oil, which I thought a bit much.  But, if you're a fan of dipping bread into flavored olive oil, go crazy!  I served mine with a loaf of everything crusted French bread, and we just tore hunks of the bread off and dipped it in.  


Preheat the broiler.  Remove the rind of the cheese and discard the rind.  Cut the cheese into very small cubes.  Put the cheese into a cast iron skillet or a nonstick skillet. Sprinkle the garlic all over the top of the cheese.  Sprinkle the herbs all over the top of the cheese.  Drizzle some olive oil over the top of everything and sprinkle on some salt and pepper, to taste.  Broil the cheese for about 6-7 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown slightly.  Serve right away.

Adapted from Ina Garten

No comments:

Post a Comment