Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Peace & Quiet


Okay.  So the last 30 days have been way too eventful for me.  Seriously, more crazy stuff has happened lately in my household than in the last year.  I had emergency abdominal surgery and stayed in the hospital 8 days, being released on Christmas Eve.  (Yes, I was really just trying to get out of work for the busiest time of the year.)  I came home with 15 staples in my stomach and had a house full of people.  We had the third largest snowstorm in our town in history.  My husband came home with a new truck.  My daughter totaled her car.  I got a new puppy for Christmas.  (Now we have three dogs.)  It's been hectic, to say the least.  I'd like at least the next 30 days to be peaceful.  I can't ask for quiet since we have a new puppy who is very vocal.

So I have been craving tacos for awhile now, and I finally got my chance to have one.  I made these Meximelts last night, and they were great!  Finally, tacos.  Now, these tacos can have pretty much whatever filling you like in them.  I just went simple with taco meat, cheese, and pico de gallo.  The real stars here are the way I cooked the tacos so that the tortillas stayed soft and the addition of pico de gallo.  It was the perfect combination.  Fill yours however you like.  Just don't skip the pico de gallo.  Enjoy!

MEXIMELTS
1 lb ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
4 flour tortillas
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
1 C shredded Pepper Jack cheese

FOR THE PICO DE GALLO:
About 2 C chopped Roma tomatoes
1-2 serrano (or jalapeno) peppers, chopped (leave in the seeds if you like it hot)
1/2 C finely chopped red onion
2 T fresh cilantro, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 lime, juiced
Salt & pepper, to taste

For the pico de gallo, stir together all of the ingredients and put it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.


Cook the ground beef and add in the taco seasoning according to package directions.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Spread the cheddar cheese over half of each tortilla.  Top the cheddar cheese with taco meat.  Spread the Pepper Jack cheese over the taco meat.  Top each tortilla half with pico de gallo (you will have some left over.  It's great with chips). Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling so that you have 4 half moons. Wrap them up in foil.  Put them in the oven and cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the cheese is well melted. Serve with sour cream, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment