Monday, January 18, 2016

Simplicity


A lot of times I go to great lengths to make dinner, especially on Sundays when I have all day to do it.  But sometimes I just want something quick and simple for dinner.  Something that I can throw together simply and without any stress involved.  

This Pasta Arribbiata is just such a dish.  Arribbiata means angry in Italian.  I promise you, I wasn't angry when I made this.  But the angry refers to the incorporation of red chili flakes, making it spicy.  It's usually served with penne pasta, but I didn't have any so I went with plain old spaghetti.  It's truly a simple dish with very few ingredients, but it's so good! And surprisingly there's no meat in it, something I very rarely do.  And, while I used a really good quality carton of strained tomatoes, it tastes fresh, probably a lot closer to authentic Italian dishes.  If you're in a bind and want to get dinner on the table fast, this dish is for you.  Enjoy!

PASTA ARRIBBIATA
1 lb pasta, any shape
4 cloves garlic, chopped
Olive oil
Salt & pepper, to taste
One 26.48 ounce carton of strained tomatoes, such as Pomi brand
Red chili flakes, to taste
Shredded Parmesan cheese, if desired
Fresh basil, chopped, if desired

Cook the pasta according to the package directions and drain it.

Meanwhile, drizzle a generous amount of olive oil into a skillet.  Cook the garlic and chili flakes over medium heat for about 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly to avoid burning the garlic.  Add in the tomatoes and salt and pepper, to taste. Bring it to a boil and then reduce the heat and let it simmer, covered, while the pasta cooks.  

Serve the pasta with the sauce and garnish with the basil and Parmesan cheese, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment