Monday, January 11, 2016

Sucker for Sandwiches


I love sandwiches.  I always have.  I remember, even as a kid, going into the kitchen and trying out new and different combinations between bread.  I still do that.  I could probably eat a different sandwich every day of the week if I had enough interesting ingredients to use.  

I also really REALLY love a restaurant called Texas de Brazil.  I so wish they were paying me to say that, or at least give me a free run at their salad bar.  Anywho, their concept is that they give you a card with a "yes" side and a "no" side. Men called gauchos come up to your table with beautiful skewers of different kinds of grilled meats.  If your card is on "yes," they will carve off a piece of whatever grilled delight they have right onto your plate.  The food is all Brazilian inspired.  And, like I said, their salad bar is fantastic!  I could make myself sick eating at just the salad bar alone.  

So what does that all have to do with sandwiches?  Well, these Gaucho Cheesesteaks are kind of inspired by the Brazilian steakhouse idea.  Thinly sliced seared steaks get topped with a chimichurri sauce of sorts, sliced tomatoes, red onions and goat cheese.  I just adore these sandwiches. They are easy to make and darn tasty!  If you're a fan of tangy chimichurri sauce and goat cheese, this sandwich is for you.

GAUCHO CHEESESTEAKS
FOR THE SANDWICHES:
2 T butter
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
2 lbs boneless ribeye steaks
Thin sliced red onion
4 hoagie rolls
Crumbled goat cheese
Tomato slices

FOR THE CHIMICHURRI:
1/2 C rough chopped Italian parsley
1/2 C rough chopped cilantro
1/2 C olive oil
1/2 C vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic, rough chopped
1 jalapeno, rough chopped
Juice of 2 limes
1/3 C red wine vinegar
Salt & pepper, to taste
Red chili flakes, to taste

Put all of the chimichurri sauce ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.  Put the sauce into the refrigerator until you're ready to use it.

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.  Wrap the hoagie rolls in foil and warm them in the oven while preparing the steaks.

For the steaks, melt the butter in a large skillet and drizzle in some olive oil.  Get the pan screaming hot, almost to high heat.  Season the steaks with salt and pepper.  Sear the steaks quickly on both sides, being sure to brown it well before flipping it over.  Depending on the thickness of your steaks, it could take 4-6 minutes per side for medium rare, longer for medium well, etc.  Remove the steaks to a plate and cover them with foil.  Let them rest for 10 minutes.

Once the steaks have rested, slice them very thinly against the grain.  Serve the steaks on the split hoagies with the chimichurri sauce, goat cheese, red onion, and tomato slices.

Adapted from Rachael Ray

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you. Sandwiches are the best. This one certainly is. Here on the border of Texas and Mexico anything wrapped in a tortilla is the same thing./

    Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Linda! And I'm a Texas girl too, so I love anything in tortillas! Enjoy!

      Delete