Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Better Than the Restaurant


So I made these Chicken Tinga tostadas soon after I got home from my surgery last month.  It was fantastic!  I wasn't up to taking pictures and blogging the recipe, so we skipped it.  A few weeks later, my husband was out of town and ordered Chicken Tinga Enchiladas at one of his favorite restaurants since he liked my version so much.  He said it was dry and wasn't nearly as good as mine.  We made it again yesterday, and it was still fantastic!  It's a really easy crockpot recipe.  You can serve it in corn or flour tortillas, on tostadas, or even in enchiladas, which is what I'm going to do with the leftovers.  Enjoy!

CHICKEN TINGA
1 onion, chopped
8 Roma tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
4 large tomatillos, husks removed, washed and chopped
1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped
1-2 jalapenos, seeded and chopped
1 1/2 lb boneless chicken thighs
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 T cumin
1 T chili powder
1/4 C chopped cilantro
Juice of 1 lime

SERVING SUGGESTIONS:
Sour cream
Queso Fresco or Cotilla cheese
Avocado slices
Refried beans
Shredded Cheddar cheese

NOTE:  If you have a mixer with a paddle attachment, you can put the whole contents of the crockpot into the bowl of the mixer and shred it very quickly with the paddle attachment.  

Put all of the ingredients into a crockpot.  Cook it on low for about 8 hours or until the chicken is fall-apart tender.  Shred the chicken in the sauce.  Serve it in tortillas, on tostadas, or in enchiladas.  

2 comments:

  1. Can I use boneless breasts, instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can, but I know from a previous experience from cooking boneless in the crockpot made the meat mushy. To stop that from happening, I would cook it a lot less, even checking it at 4 hours. Enjoy!

      Delete