Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Food Wars


Sometimes I feel like I'm living out my own TV show called Food Wars.  I know some of you can relate to this.  You buy an ingredient only to find that someone swiped it when you went to use it.  The other three people in my house are really REALLY bad about this.  I'll go in the kitchen only to find that my son has eaten all of the Cheddar cheese that I needed for dinner.  Or he ate all of the hamburger buns.  If I happen to bring cookies or sweets home from the restaurant/bakery where I work, my daughter immediately removes the portion she wants and puts it in a baggie and puts her name on it.  If I buy cottage cheese, I have to buy three and put names on it so that I will get some.  I've gone to cook pasta, only to find out that my husband, who is a night owl, has cooked and eaten half of the pasta I needed for a recipe.  I try to hide things so they won't take it, but they always seem to find it.

When I bought the Doritos for this Dorito Chicken, I practically had to take the bag to work and hide it until I could cook it.  And, after it was cooked, my daughter "called" the leftover Doritos and put her name on it.  Her brother won't care, though.  He'll eat them anyway.

So...Dorito Chicken.  If you've ever had King Ranch Chicken, this is really almost the same thing, only with Doritos instead of corn tortillas.  It's quick and easy and darn tasty!   And it disappears really fast, especially with teenagers.  Enjoy!

DORITO CHICKEN
3 1/2 C crushed nacho cheese flavored Doritos
1 1/2 C cooked, shredded chicken
1 can RoTel
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 T dried minced onion
1 T chili powder
1/2 T cumin
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/2 C shredded Cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Stir together the chicken, RoTel, cream of mushroom, cream of chicken, minced onion, chili powder, cumin, and garlic.  Layer half of the crushed Doritos in a 2 quart casserole pan.  Layer the chicken mixture over the Doritos.  Layer the other half of the Doritos over the chicken.  Top the casserole with the cheese.  Bake the casserole for about 20-25 minutes or until it's heated through.

No comments:

Post a Comment