Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Interesting Combination


I love one-skillet meals.  They are quicker to make, get on the table faster, and there's a lot less cleanup.  When I came across this Tex Mex Skillet Pie, I was a little skeptical.  It has sweet potatoes in it.  Now, I love sweet potatoes.  Don't get me wrong.  But I wasn't sure if Tex Mex and sweet potatoes went together.  I'm adventurous, though, so I gave it a shot.

And you know what?  It was great!  It was spicy, sweet, and savory all at once.  My son came in the kitchen and said, "wow, that looks pretty good."  And he was right.  We all enjoyed it.  So take a chance with a different combination and try this.  You'll be glad you did!

TEX MEX SKILLET PIE
1 lb ground beef
1 C diced sweet potatoes
1 onion, chopped
1 package cornbread mix
1/2 C milk
1 egg
Olive oil
1 can RoTel (I used hot, but original or mild is fine)
1 C frozen corn
2 T chopped cilantro
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons chili powder
Shredded Cheddar cheese, for serving
Sour cream, for serving

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  Drizzle some olive oil in an ovenproof skillet, preferrably cast iron.  Cook the onion and the sweet potatoes for about 3-4 minutes, or until the potatoes start to soften.  Add in the ground beef and the cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt and pepper to taste.  Cook and stir until the ground beef is browned. Remove the skillet from the heat.  Add in the corn, RoTel and cilantro and stir.  Smooth the beef mixture out evenly.

Mix together the cornbread mix, the egg, and the milk.  Pour the cornbread mixture over the center of the skillet.  You will not have enough cornbread to go all the way to the edges. Put the skillet in the oven and bake it for about 15-18 minutes or until the cornbread is done.  Serve the pie with sour cream and shredded cheese.

Adapted from Rachel Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment