Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Food Fights


Have you ever made a meal so good that people in your family fought over the leftovers?  Well, that's the case with this dish.  We loved it so much, and my son and I fought over the leftovers.  I always take leftovers to work the next day since eating the same restaurant food, while really good, gets boring after a while.  But my son said he was going to eat it today (he didn't) so I didn't take it.  You can bet I'll take it tomorrow.

My husband and I have a new found love of chicken thighs. The meat is so much more juicy and flavorful.  We buy the boneless thighs and put it in a lot of things.  This dish is Garlic Parmesan Chicken & Potatoes.  I could call it Garlic Parmesan Chicken, Potatoes, Onions, Green Beans, and some herbs, but that's just way too long.  We cooked this in the crockpot, and it was fantastic!  Although I didn't put lemon juice in it, something about the herbs gave it a slightly lemony taste that we loved.  And I love garlic (duh) so there was plenty of that.  And cheese.  I love cheese.  And bacon and butter.  Anywho, this dish is easy to put together and darn tasty.  Enjoy!

GARLIC PARMESAN CHICKEN & POTATOES
2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs
2 T butter
Olive oil
2 lbs small red potatoes
About 2 1/2 C fresh green beans, trimmed
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
Seasoned salt (like Lawry's)
3/4 C chicken stock
Garlic powder
Black pepper
Thyme leaves
Dried basil
Dried oregano
1 C shredded Parmesan cheese
2 T fresh Italian parsley, chopped

NOTE:  I didn't measure the herbs out.  I just sprinkled them on.  Use as much or as little as you like.  Also, we put chicken stock in the crockpot to help steam the veggies, but we discarded the juice when we served it.  

Melt the butter in a skillet and drizzle in some olive oil. Season the chicken on both sides with the seasoned salt, garlic powder, and black pepper and some thyme, basil and oregano.  Brown the chicken on both sides over high heat. You aren't cooking the chicken through, just getting some color on the chicken.  

Put the potatoes, onions, garlic, and green beans in the bottom of a crockpot.  Season the veggies with salt and pepper and sprinkle in some more thyme, basil and oregano. Lay the chicken over the top of the veggies.  Pour in the chicken stock.  Cover the crockpot and cook on low for about 8 hours.  When serving, sprinkle the Parmesan cheese and parsley over the top.

Adapted from Damn Delicious

2 comments: