Sunday, September 4, 2016

I'm Always Right


Okay, so maybe I'm not always right.  But, generally speaking, when I pick out recipes or meals to prepare, I'm right more times than not.  My husband is generally not picky, but sometimes he hears an ingredient and automatically thinks he won't like it.  Like artichokes.  He thinks he doesn't like them and prejudges the recipe before trying it.

The first time I suggested making these Stuffed Portabello Mushrooms, his response was, "I'm out."  But I pulled a sneaky on him and sent my daughter to the store for portabellos.  He came home from work, and I was already knee deep in the preparation.  He asked what was for dinner. When I told him, he let out an explitive.  I told him just give it a try.  He said he was game, and dinner was on.

Guess what.  I WAS RIGHT!  He loved it!  The kids loved it too.  This is a hearty and easy meal to put together.  I stuffed the mushrooms with Italian sausage and rice and topped it with a quick homemade marinara sauce and cheese.  It was fantastic!  It wasn't overly mushroomy or weird at all.  I guess he should know that I'm always right, duh.  Anywho, I hope you all enjoy this recipe!

STUFFED PORTABELLOS
6 large portabello mushrooms
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 lb Italian sausage (bulk or removed from casings)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 C cooked rice
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried parsley
Red chili flakes, to taste
1/2 onion, chopped
1 C shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/4 C shredded Parmesan cheese

NOTES:  I used Minute rice to make this dish go faster, also because I am really bad at making rice.  Minute rice is practically foolproof.  Also, I used the Cento brand of crushed tomatoes since the only ingredient on the can is "tomatoes." But you can use any you like or even use store-bought marinara sauce.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Clean out the gills from the mushrooms and the stems and rinse them.  Pat them dry and drizzle olive oil all over them and season them with salt and pepper.  Place them hollow side down on a sheet pan. Cook the mushrooms in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, put the crushed tomatoes in a small saucepot and drizzle in some olive oil.  Season it with salt and pepper, the garlic powder, and chili flakes, to taste.  Bring the sauce to a boil.  Reduce the heat to medium low, cover it, and cook it, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes to thicken it.

Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet.  Cook the onion over medium high heat until they are soft, about 5 minutes.  Add in the sausage and garlic.  Cook and break up the sausage until it's done through.  Remove it from the heat.  Stir in the rice, Parmesan cheese, basil and parsley.  Season it with salt and pepper, if desired.  

Take the mushrooms out of the oven and turn them over. Top each mushrooms with the sausage filling.  Spoon some sauce over each mushroom.  Top each mushroom with the Mozzarella.  Bake the mushrooms for about 10 minutes to heat through and melt the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment